2001 Suburban - My Toy

AndrewGS

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I bought my late grandfather's 2001 Suburban C1500 LT from my grandmother. The day I bought it I started ordering parts to fix the few things wrong with it and modify it to my liking. I'll start off with a before photo.

You can see it had vent visors, a bug shield, factory running boards and fender flares, but no more. I cleaned it up a bit.

I then took it to the stereo shop and dropped a nice chunk of coin on a full audio system and security with remote start.

Here's a video of the system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud6qYEieIkw

I then installed my iPhone dock on the dash, removed the OnStar controls, replaced the cassette player with the OEM pocket and replaced the back side of the console with a new one that doesn't have audio controls. I ended up finding an NOS panel in Pewter so I bought it and sprayed it Shale.

Before:

After:

I then decided to up my fuel economy and give it a little shot of power, so I ordered a Volant intake and throttle body spacer, JBA headers, Flowmaster exhaust system and electric fans for an '05. I've got the exhaust, intake and TB spacer installed and I'll be installing the rest soon and getting it custom tuned. I'm also going to tune it up with OEM parts.

Here's an exhaust video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VleqflZheOQ

I also went ahead and ordered the DJM Suspension 3"/5" drop kit and shocks. I'm going to use NORCAL SS rear springs which I still need to order as well as the DJM upper control arms, Fabtech steering stabilizer, Spohn adjustable panhard bar and boxed rear control arms and DJM sway bars. I'm going to have the "free travel" mod done when I get it all installed which should hopefully be some time this Summer.

I've gone back and forth on wheels, but I think I'm going to go with the 24" DUB Shot Calla (I hate saying that name) on 305/35 tires. I originally wanted 22" Intros but they are just too much money and I think a 24" wheel looks really good on these big trucks.

Here's the 24" Shot Calla on a new Tahoe wearing the 305/35 tires.

A couple of little things I've done are the front window tint and chromed stainless door handle covers.

Other little things include OEM chrome rearview mirror caps, SilverStar Ultra forward lighting, SilverStar DRLs and reverse lighting, LED license plate lighting, Bosch Icon wipers and shaved the emblems and OnStar antenna. I plan on replacing the tail lights with new OEM units, new OEM liftgate struts, improved intermediate steering shaft and lower column bearing, new steering wheel and shift boot and LED interior lighting. Much later I'll be upgrading the brakes with the 14" 6-piston Wilwood system, shaving the luggage rack and touching up the few imperfections on the body.

I figure once I get all this stuff done I can just enjoy it for a couple of years then lease a second generation Volt and keep the Suburban for fun.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice changes. Any pics of the before and after stereo setup?

AndrewGS

Reaction score
Thanks. You can't tell the system is there except for the head unit. The first video link shows how it was done to look stock and not take up any cargo space.

Members online

No members online now.