2005 Z71 suburban low oil pressure

Reaction score
Hi everyone, the truck has 220k miles on it and I'm wondering what is the best way to continue. I believe the warning is legit, oil pressure gauge is showing the same thing, but i notice it doesn't reset once you go just barely above you have to go half way to "normal" pressure.

Thanks everyone

jhama78

Reaction score
Hi everyone, the truck has 220k miles on it and I'm wondering what is the best way to continue. I believe the warning is legit, oil pressure gauge is showing the same thing, but i notice it doesn't reset once you go just barely above you have to go half way to "normal" pressure.

Thanks everyone

I'd start by figuring out a way to get a manual gauge on the engine and see what actual oil pressure is. Could be a faulty sensor or could actually be a failing oil pump loose bearing clearance etc...

my two pennies.

-j-rod

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hola desde España.
Mi nombre es Juan.
Con respecto a la baja presion de aceite, lo del manómetro manual es muy importante.y basicamente esencial.
Te aconsejo comprobar que el filtro de aceite es el correcto y el aceite 5w 30 o 40 sintético.
Si ha trabajado con aceite no sintético y ha habido mucha diferencia de temperatura, los taqués hidráulicos sufren mucho y pueden tener pérdidas de presión de aceite.
Los sintomas mas comunes son ruidos de tecleteo recién arrancado en frio el vehículo.
Ya nos iras diciendo...
Saludos cordiales
Juan

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hola desde España.
Mi nombre es Juan.
Con respecto a la baja presion de aceite, lo del manómetro manual es muy importante.y basicamente esencial.
Te aconsejo comprobar que el filtro de aceite es el correcto y el aceite 5w 30 o 40 sintético.
Si ha trabajado con aceite no sintético y ha habido mucha diferencia de temperatura, los taqués hidráulicos sufren mucho y pueden tener pérdidas de presión de aceite.
Los sintomas mas comunes son ruidos de tecleteo recién arrancado en frio el vehículo.
Ya nos iras diciendo...
Saludos cordiales
Juan

You able to post this in English?

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks everyone

Have you had a recent oil change?

Turbo4whl

Reaction score
Is there a way i can test to see if it is the pickup tube?

Thank you for your answers
Yes, start with what @jhama78 stated. Check the actual pressure.

Then @Evlutionz is correct, common failure is the pickup tube "O" ring. This will cause a pump failure over time.

Here is why, when the "O" ring leaks and the engine is shut off, the oil will drain out of the pickup tube back to the pan. That means every cold start the pump needs to reprime. Normally this would only happen when you change the oil, (not too often). Since the "O" ring has failed, air leaks in and allows the oil to drain. Now many more starts where the pump needs to prime.

This applies to the LS engines only (4.8, 5.3 etc.) Not the 4.3 V6.

Members online

No members online now.