4x4 question

962000chevy

Reaction score
The auto 4wd function is supposed to engage the front axle when the computer senses a certain amount of slip coming from the rear tires. IDK the exact numbers but I know if my back tires are in mud and fronts now it will engage then disengage like its supposed to, I do have to stop first though.

962000chevy

Reaction score
When I get to pavement I stop or shortly there after. I've never had a problem if I stop first but I've never had it engage on pavement and my truck won't break the 285s loose from a standstill.

silverado13

Reaction score
i was just playing around in the neighborhood and it was always on, i wonder if there is something wrong with it

Bonecollector

Reaction score
The 4 wheel auto with the light on just means it's on and in standby, you'll be In 2 wheel drive until like mentioned above the rear tires slip then the front engages and stays on for a short period, it works really good in the winter, I usually keep it in 2 tho, with larger tires the auto worries me sometimes haha

Bonecollector

Reaction score
Good way to test auto is to try and do a burn out on a sloppy/slippery surface, it'll engage front tires and stop you if it's working, whenever I test drive a used truck/SUV I always test the 4x4 by going to an open area, engaging 4 hi give it a second, drive forward, max the steering all the way left or right, once the vehicle enters the tight circle the vehicle should feel like its rocking, that means 4x4 works, if it doesn't it's still in 2 wheel, I do this everytime because I bought a truck a while ago before I learnt that and just pushed the button it flashed and went solid even tho the 4x4 didn't work, ended up fixing it though so it was all good, but that's the way I test 4x4 a mechanic taught me that

962000chevy

Reaction score
If you're on pavement and the 4wd doesn't give a tighter turn radius then something is wrong. One way to test that I can't recommend even though I've done it is to burn out in 2wd then click auto 4wd and see if you can repeat. I did it to show off but it's terrible for the transfer case.

silverado13

Reaction score
i mean i know the 4wd is working, when i was test driving it, it was raining and i couldnt spin them in 4wd, plus i was pulling on trees last weekend and leaving 4 holes in the yard, gotta see if auto 4wd works thogh

Diggerdan11

Reaction score
The Auto 4WD is life saver. It works so great when you are driving around town and some of the road is slick and some is not.

Side Question:

I know the GMT800 1500's and the 1500HD's have the option for the Auto 4WD as well as the Tahoes, 1500 and 2500 Suburbans.

Do the 2500HD's also have that option? I know my dads 3500 with the Duramax does not have the auto function and I have always been told that the Torque from the Diesel was too much for that function to handle.

So does anyone have a 2500HD with a Gas engine with the Auto 4WD? or does the auto 4WD just not come in the 2500HD, and 3500's?

962000chevy

Reaction score
i mean i know the 4wd is working, when i was test driving it, it was raining and i couldnt spin them in 4wd, plus i was pulling on trees last weekend and leaving 4 holes in the yard, gotta see if auto 4wd works thogh

That's why I said use auto 4wd. If its working then it will engage when your back tires spin. If you were using auto 4wd in the rain and had no spin then I'd say its working. Slightest bit of wet and I could break my 265s loose no problem.