"Clunk" coming through steering wheel

RatherBeLucky

Reaction score
I just picked up an 03 Silverado 1/2 ton 4wd. occasionally, when I hit a bump I can feel a "clunk" in the steering wheel. It feels like it would be a steering shaft related part. Does the shaft assembly even contain a part that could be worn and causing this? Where/How do I begin to check?

badazzbulldog

Reaction score
rag joint between shaft and steering box also jack up front end and check for play in tie rods,ball joints,drag link

Sinkhole

Reaction score
The steering shaft is known to do this there is a revised part available that corrects the issue, but as stated by badazz check the entire front end as well. But my 1st look would be at the steering shaft.

Bonecollector

Reaction score
"Clunk" coming through steering wheel

Mine clunks, any links to parts for the revised intermediate shaft? I know mines the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madcardisease

Reaction score
I just picked up an 03 Silverado 1/2 ton 4wd. occasionally, when I hit a bump I can feel a "clunk" in the steering wheel. It feels like it would be a steering shaft related part. Does the shaft assembly even contain a part that could be worn and causing this? Where/How do I begin to check?

It's your intermediate steering shaft bushing. Just replaced mine for under $20 and 30 min worth of work. It will get rid of your clunk and smooth up your steering a bit. Best cheap fix I've ever done on this truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online