Front brake upgrade

partsman57

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the brake upgrade using the 2019 and up rotors and four piston calipers? Found this video on it. Looks like a big improvement over the stock setup.

adriver

Reaction score
Yeah, they will work. They are about the same price as the NNBS brake upgrade. The problem is the wheels that are needed to fit over the calipers. The NNBS brakes will work with 17s. As for the 4 piston caliper..

So far:
1: OEM NNBS LTZ20s. Fit with a 1/4" spacer or serious caliper front face hump grinding.

2: Method race wheels roost 17x8.5 4.75back spacing. Fit without a spacer but the barrel clearance is very close.

3: OEM NBS Denali 17s. Do not fit ends of caliper contact inner barrel of the wheel.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, they will work. They are about the same price as the NNBS brake upgrade. The problem is the wheels that are needed to fit over the calipers. The NNBS brakes will work with 17s. As for the 4 piston caliper..

So far:
1: OEM NNBS LTZ20s. Fit with a 1/4" spacer or serious caliper front face hump grinding.

2: Method race wheels roost 17x8.5 4.75back spacing. Fit without a spacer but the barrel clearance is very close.

3: OEM NBS Denali 17s. Do not fit ends of caliper contact inner barrel of the wheel.

Wow, that's awesome to hear. Never know they would fit.

adriver

Reaction score
The measurement is supposedly a "hair" off. I have read some have used as is, and some added a slight shim to center it correctly. Those running as is, claim it's working fine. I think at this point, no matter what its too early to tell. If I ever put it on mine, I will want the shim.

adriver

Reaction score
Yeah, the shim is going to center the caliper so it works better and wears evenly. The downside is its pushing the caliper that much farther out, and reducing the caliper to wheel clearance by that much. Shaving the calipers might help if needed, but I wouldn't do it. If those shims are only .15" thick they aren't the problem.

We need to start figuring out which wheels will work. If 17s can work, I think it's more likely those will only be aftermarket, because of how the factory barrel is. Its as if the factory wheels was designed to make the valve stem easily accessable in some universal position. The lip is almost stretched or lengthened to give the valve stem room, and then it goes into the barrel. While the aftermarket wanted a better looking wheel with a larger barrel, and they just moved the valve stem. It would help if we could get a measurement of the ID of the barrel.

The 8.5" wide wheel with a 4.75" backspacing is a zero offset wheel. That method wheel specifically has a design where the face rises up off the hub and gives room for the caliper. The newer 22s look like they are about the only factory wheel that gives enough clearance. The 20" snowflakes look possible. The 18" trail boss wheels looks like they might fit. The came on that 2019+ so no clue if those come factory with those brakes or not.

If you're going to use a spacer youd want to measure how much room you have left on your lugs, and keep it less than that, unless you also want to replace with longer lugs.

adriver

Reaction score
Or someone who has it done to show up at a car show, pull the wheel with it up on a jack stand, and let people test their wheels.

There is one at Texas metroplex March 5th. Convoy Showdown

Its been a while sine I've been to a show, but here's their facebook page. Heck, If I thought I was going, I'd bring a jack and stand if someone was willing to let people try.

If someone does let people use their truck to test, then someone else needs to start a beer fund for em. I would hope they could at least get a drink or two out of it. I'd toss in a couple bucks to test my wheels.

Last edited:

adriver

Reaction score
In the OP's video, they show the measurements for the shim/washer are:
0.15" thick, 1.11"OD, 0.54" ID,

I was searching and I found this (7/16 bolt size) almost exact washer size as described in the video -
Z9184-BEV-SS

washer size.PNG

I found where someone else confirmed that an ID of .50" and an OD of 7/8" worked, (someone should just measure the bolt's OD to get the shim ID, and also to see what might be in the way of the shim OD).

The 7/16 bolt washer ( Z9184-BEV-SS ) is:
0.156" thick - 15/32 = .156 (so the difference is smaller than the tolerance).
1.00" OD
.50" ID

0.150" thick, 1.11" OD, 0.54" ID, (video) vs
0.156" thick, 1.00" OD, 0.46875" ID /(15/32) (washer listed).

The OD and the ID basically just need to be 'good enough' so they fit. The thickness is the important measurement so the caliper is centered over the rotor.

So, I can't personally guarantee that ID will work without modifying, BUT IF you needed to modify this off-the-shelf washer, all it would need is to increase the ID by 1/16- 1/32" or ~.05-.1".

Here are a few places I found selling it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284662584215 (SOLD BY zoro_us )

(the first two are stainless, this is low carbon steel)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.