Full floater rear axle bearing replacement.

04-2500HD

Reaction score
Anyone here have experience replacing the wheel bearings on the rear axle? I have done bearings in semi float axles but never a full floater.

Any tips would be appreciated

badazzbulldog

Reaction score
very easy to do remove caliper, rotor undo bolts to the axle slide the axle out the locking nut in the hub should have a washer behind it the will be bent up against on side of the outer nut tap that away from nut with a chisel and hammer then put the chisel against one of the corners of the nut and tap that to get it turning once thats out remove washer there will be a second nut spin that out and the hub will come off. punch out old bearing races install new ones inner bearing and wheel seal and reverse the process

04-2500HD

Reaction score
Ok thanks.

Only reason I'm asking is I have had a vibration since o bought the truck 70-80mph 75 being the worst. It wasn't much of a vibration, kind of like a very light back massage.

Now as of this weekend it has gotten worse, acts like a bad u joint is causing the vibe. It's there and then if you let up on the gas it's completely gone. I've swapped u joints today, checked the preload on rear wheel bearings (good)

The only thing I did this weekend was haul a few dirt track tires and pull some buddies out of a mud hole.

04-2500HD

Reaction score
Update

I have checked and replaced u joints in the rear driveshaft, checked for play in rear wheel bearings, removed front drive shaft, no play in pinion on rear axle. Hooked up to a trailer to add weight behind the axle. All of these resulted in no change

badazzbulldog

Reaction score
have you had the balance on the wheels checked? could be off? or a bad tire(broken steel belt)? or a slightly tweaked rim

04-2500HD

Reaction score
Im pretty sure if it was in the tires/wheels/suspension components it wouldn't go away when you let off. This problem only shows up when there is a load on the drive line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.