trans electronics issue im guessing

silverv6

Reaction score
The truck is not mine, but i'd ask for advice. The truck is a 03 v6 silverado a4 rwd. the issue is it will drive perfect for about 20-30mins, then completely lose all gears(feels like its in neutral more so than slipping.) shut the car off for 2-3mins and then it is perfectly fine again for another 20ish mins. My guess is eletronics, has it is totally fine after shutting it off for a while. does anyone know the continuity check steps for the chevy solenoids and/or control unit/module? someone have said transmission unit, solenoids, and someone has said trans filter or pump. But it seems to be a straight forward system as it is better after a few again so i find it hard to believe it's mechanical failure. truck is completely stock and no codes showing.

badazzbulldog

Reaction score
next question is did the scanner used have live data? my snap on unit can monitor as your driving to see what actually goes on when the issue happens.sounds like an issue when you get to a certain temp it malfunctions

silverv6

Reaction score
no they had no datalogging capabilities also trans temp is fine and same has before the issue.

badazzbulldog

Reaction score
I asked a guy I know with a trans shop he said your best bet is to try a filter and fluid change and see what it does then.if it is electrical the trans should default to 2nd gear limp mode,sounds more like the filter pulls fluid till it clogs and when you shut down it drains back and gets suction again

silverv6

Reaction score
still doing same thing he says, and the fluid was clean and nothing was in pan.

Members online

No members online now.