engine swaps

nate3531

Reaction score
Okay, after a bit of light towing the last few weeks, I say screw gas mileage I want more torque. This 4.8 is just to small, and has no balls down low. My old 5.7 tbi would pull circles around this thing.

With that being said, what all do I need to drop a 6.0 in my truck? PCM, engine, and that it? being both came in this year model truck I should be able to put all my accessories on it including DBW throttle body. Am I correct or is there more to it? I just got my 4L60 rebuilt and it should be good for a while but I may try to get a 4L80 while I am in there swapping shit.

962000chevy

Reaction score
From what I've read the engine is really all you need a good tuner(blackbear performance) can do the tune for you. When I swapped from a 5.0 to a 5.7 they just rewrote my stock pcm for the larger engine. Also I would look into a 6.0/4l80e package. I have had excellent luck with 4l60e's but a well tuned 6.0 would probably hurt a stock one on the first pull with a load behind it.

nate3531

Reaction score
From what I've read the engine is really all you need a good tuner(blackbear performance) can do the tune for you. When I swapped from a 5.0 to a 5.7 they just rewrote my stock pcm for the larger engine. Also I would look into a 6.0/4l80e package. I have had excellent luck with 4l60e's but a well tuned 6.0 would probably hurt a stock one on the first pull with a load behind it.

I am thinking of getting a combo if I can, but I have 6 months warranty left on my current rebuild on the 4L60, it has upgraded sun shell, shift improvement kit, and some other upgrades. Probably is close to a 4L65 now. I still want an 80e but I may just not put it in and get it built, then have it on standby.

962000chevy

Reaction score
From what I've been told a stock 4l80e can handle damn near the same as a fully built 4l60e but I'd run the 60e till warranty was out any way.

JonZ71

Reaction score
You can literally swap in any of the ls series engines and it will run nearly perfect. you can take a 5.3 and swap it in and really don't even have to mess with the computer.

Reaction score
Nothing to the swap... Out with the old and in with the new :) Cake Walk Then a tune for max. performance gains.

Members online

No members online now.