seat covers?

Alwaysntrouble

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an upholstery shop that will let me bring my own material and stitch the seat covers at a reasonable price?

Thx in advance.

sewlow

Reaction score
West Coast, Canada. 800' from the border.
'You' want to stitch them?
Not trying to be a smart-a$$, but no-one, nobody, no-how, is gonna walk in to my shop & expect to be able to jump onto my machines to do their own project.
Nope! Ain't happenin'!!!
They are what I use to be able to feed my dog & me. Pay my bills. Build my trucks.
Besides, they have quirks, as any & every machine does. I know how to deal with those before they become catastrophic. They have a 'personality' that I've become familiar with after hundreds (& hundreds!) of hours sitting behind them. They 'talk' to me with the music they make. I can tell from across the room if & what needs to be addressed by their sound.
Even other upholsterers are suspect when it comes to using them. I'd have to be pretty confident in their abilities to even consider any of them before they get to use 'em.
But then, no-one gets to drive my trucks either! Lol!
Now, if you're asking if you can bring your materials to an upholstery shop so that they can cut & sew the covers for you, that's a different ball game.
Most shops will not have a problem with that, if (IF!) the materials are appropriate for the job.
But, expect to pay full wham when it comes to the hourly rate, as upholstery shops make money on the material sales. No material sales attached to the project? Well then, they will make back that non-profit somehow, even if it's a fraction of what they missed out on by not selling the fabric.
If you get the materials from them, and you're only bringing in the seats, some will be willing to give you some leeway on the shop rate, or a bit of reduction in the time estimate due to the fact that they are not having to have a vehicle in the shop taking up space, or dealing with the removal, tear down, install of the new covers, followed by the re-install of the seats into the truck.
Where are you located? In a hurry? I have no problem stitching them up for you, but depending on how far you are away, the shipping may be prohibitive.
You have buckets? From your post it seems so. I only need one cover do make up a set. The passenger seat cover. It's always the best one for making a pattern. I just make up 2 in a mirror image of themselves.
I can walk you through the re-&-re of the covers, no prob! The re-install is a bit more than just throwing the new covers on though, contrary to what the magazines & T.V. shows claim. There are a few tricks of the trade that they never seem to cover!

Last edited:

Alwaysntrouble

Reaction score
I appreciate your response; but, maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not trying to get use someones equipment or get over. I already have my material; but, as you know, most shops want you to buy from them. The beautiful thing about the internet is I can get the same thing they can at most of the time at a cheaper price. I don't mind paying for quality; but, if you are charging me premium dollar for Katskin seat covers (that I could order myself), that's not a good value for my money. I truly sympathize with the business aspect; but, being subject to the 300% markup on material says to me as a consumer...... Anyway, I'm not in the biggest hurry (next 2mths probably). I want my money to go to someone who takes pride in their work not their wallet. PM me your contact info so we can talk.

Old77

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sewlow is the man to listen to :waytogo: