Temperature wrong

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
Hey guys. Recently I've been noticing the temperature on my mirror in my 04 sierra goes wrong when I leave the truck idling. Like today it said 38 while it was just sitting and running. It was actually maybe 16-18. This only happens when it's running and fixes itself when i start driving. No it's not cause it's sitting in the sun either.

dirtyhick42

Reaction score
heat radiating from the motor and up the windshield or maybe the heat from in the truck hitting where the sensor is and only when the wind is blowing at it does it read the right temperature?

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
heat radiating from the motor and up the windshield or maybe the heat from in the truck hitting where the sensor is and only when the wind is blowing at it does it read the right temperature?

I don't know. It only ever happens when I'm just sitting there idling and sometimes it'll fix itself without me having to do anything, not even turning it off. But it does goes away whenever I start driving. The sensor is right in where the mirror attaches to the windshield correct?

2003tahoe

Reaction score
I think the sensor for the mirror is to the right of the trans cooler if you have one its like a little .75"cube to the center right on the pic its moved like 3-4 inches to the driver side due to bigger cooler:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 7

dirtyhick42

Reaction score
I think the sensor for the mirror is to the right of the trans cooler if you have one its like a little .75"cube to the center right on the pic its moved like 3-4 inches to the driver side due to bigger cooler:D

So that's what that is huh? Still makes sense that it could be residual heat from the engine compartment IMO.

Bonecollector

Reaction score
Check your coolant, may be old or used up, possibly not cooling as well as it could be causing extra heat from the radiator?

silverado13

Reaction score
when the hot air from the engine bay isnt really going anywhere because your not moving, it increases the temp that the sensor is reading, also having it sit in the sun when your not in your truck can make it read wrong until it cools down