Blackbear Performance Tuning Info and Reviews

02Beast

Reaction score
Admin sticky this mug
Before GMT800 gets to big I'd like to have a designated thread regarding Blackbear Tuning. So people looking at this option don't have to sift through countless threads.
IF YOU WANT MY REVIEW SKIP TO THE BOTTOM
Here is the website link: http://www.blackbearperformance.com
""We proudly offer tune service discounts to active duty US military and law enforcement. Please inquire for details. ""
OPTIONS:
Tuning Services and Software
We have several tune options that we have outlined below. If you have any questions on pricing, please Contact Us for further clarification.
We proudly offer tune service discounts to US active duty military and law enforcement officers. Please inquire for details.
Traditional Tune

Our traditional tune is our name for the industry standard mail order tune. We ask you a few questions about the vehicle modifications, configuration, intended use and then we build a tune based on that information and past experience. You have the option of mailing in your control module(s) to be used for the tune or you can pay a core charge and have us send out modules from our inventory. Core charges are refundable when your factory units are returned to us.
Pricing:

Tune service: $240
Core charges:
$50 for 96-00 4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L, 7.4L trucks
$100 for LS1, LS6 vehicles and all 99-07 classic fullsize trucks and SUVs
$190 for ECM/TCM on most 2005+ cars and 2007-2013 4 speed equipped trucks and SUVs
Traditional tune is not recommended for:
Heavily modified vehicles
Vehicles with mechanical problems (pinging, transmission slip, excessively poor fuel mileage, etc)
2006+ 6 speed automatic transmission or 5/6 speed Allison transmissions (AutoCal only)

For these vehicles, our scan cable or AutoCal will be necessary to complete the tune.
To order with a core charge, please Click Here. If you would like to send your module(s) in to be tuned, please Contact Us so that we can provide you with mailing instructions and a discounted order URL.
Please Note: It is very common for there to be issues with various sensors and/or vehicle configuration that an owner is unaware of. Those issues can negatively impact vehicle power output and results with the traditional tune.

Scan Cable Tune

Our scan cable tune is a step above the standard traditional tune that is prevalent throughout. Black Bear Performance was started in 2006 with the premise that vehicle-specific data will yield a better, more consistent tune and that is still the same today.
We utilize EFILive V1 and V2 scan cables to collect data specific to your vehicle while you drive. Using that data, we are able to ascertain exactly what type of adjustments are needed to ensure that the vehicle is operating at or very near peak efficiency. If there are any underlying mechanical problems, we can usually identify those issues quickly and help you to resolve them as inexpensively as possible.

Process:

You'll submit a security deposit to cover the cost of the scan cable hardware, amounting to either $250 or $400, depending on what type of vehicle you have. This deposit is fully refundable when returned in a timely manner.
Using a Windows-based laptop (not provided), you'll follow our detailed instructions to collect one or more log files from the vehicle while driving.
Those files will be sent in to us by email to be reviewed. If all is well, we will provide an order form to complete to purchase the tune. If any correction or clarification is needed, we'll provide direction as to what else we need to see.
Tuned computer or computers will be mailed to you to be installed. Using the scan cable, you'll be able to link the new computer(s) to the vehicle and perform a follow-up log file. We'll review that log to ensure that all is operating as it should be.
The scan cable and factory computer(s) (if desired) are returned to us for a refund of the core charge.
Pricing:
Tune service: $330
Scan cable security deposit: $250 for LS1/LS6 vehicles, 98-07 Classic trucks and SUVs, $400 for all other vehicles
Core charges:
$50 for 96-00 4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L, 7.4L trucks
$100 for LS1, LS6 vehicles and all 99-07 classic fullsize trucks and SUVs
$190 for ECM/TCM on most 2005+ cars and 2007-2013 4 speed equipped trucks and SUVs
To get started with the scan cable security deposit, see below
$250 V1 Scan scan cable - all LS1/LS6 vehicles (1997-2005), 1998-2007 (Classic) trucks and SUVs
$400 V2 Scan scan cable - all Gen-IV V8 engines and all other models
If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to Contact Us to discuss your needs and options.
AutoCal and EFILive V2 Email Tuning

In addition to our mail order tune service, we offer email tuning services to accommodate all 1998-2014 vehicles that we support, which includes any 6 speed automatic equipped vehicle.

Our AutoCal option permits the purchaser to receive tunes by email based on logged data. The hardware is yours to keep and can be used on multiple vehicles*. All of the benefits of our scan cable tune, with the added benefit of multiple tunes (as needed) and the ability to simply flash back to stock to take the vehicle in for service.

The AutoCal is priced at $599 for the hardware and service. For details and ordering, click here: AutoCal
* With purchase of additional service and license
If you already own a V2 or are interested in purchasing one to get into your own tuning, we offer a tune by email option for you to flash in with your own hardware. Please Contact Us for details and pricing. All V2s purchased directly from our shopping cart will include a free tune by email.

In-Person/Live Tuning (1998 - 2013 vehicles)

We travel regularly to different parts of the country to tune in person. Please see our Calendar of Events to see where we will be and to get signed up for one of those events.

Here is a list of contacts:
[email protected] - General & Tune Sales Questions
[email protected] - Performance Parts Sales
[email protected] - Technical Tune & Vehicle Questions
[email protected] - Dealership Opportunities

MY REVIEW:
So I own a lifted 2002 Z71 Chevy Tahoe and I read many different reviews from all over before I made this purchase I ended up catching them on Black Friday and picked up the autocal for $500. I must say this was the best investment I ever made. I went for the 87-89 tune, 91+ tow mode and 91+ 'sport mode'. I currently use the 87-89 because it more efficient than the 91+ because of my lift and tires. This is a really well rounded tune from the speed limiter taken off to better fuel consumption better timed shifts lot firmer (or smoother your preference). Now when I'm feeling frisky I go to 91+ sport Mode and yes it is WAY different you can really feel the power they change you "tow/haul" button to 'sport mode' The shift are alot quicker and rev are alot higher I'm talking 3rd at 80mph pushing 6000 revs I've gotten the hoe up to 120mph and it showed no sign of stopping. Now with the 91+ tow I haven't really used it yet but I'm assuming it's just as good. All you have to do with the autocal is record your data and send it in wait about a day or two then they will ask you what you want or my preference let then do what they do best and then drag and drop some files from your comp. to you autocal and plug and play. No crank 're-learn involved. The best part is they give you free retunes with whatever upgrades you have for the life of the vehicle. Also you can hold up to 6 different vehicles with this option and it only cost around 2 or 300 you only have to pay for the autocal one time the rest is just for new tunes. And I believe you can add additional tunes to the same vehicle for $100.

Customer experience:
These guys are the bees knees when it come to knowledge, returning your emails and answering any questions you might have. Of course like any other big company it takes around 2-3 days for a response regarding their "busyness" it can differ. But they will ALWAYS respond.
I hope this helps your decision in the future and any other reviews or comments are greatly welcomed.

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Reaction score
Thank you so much for posting this! I've been wanting to learn more about black bear tuned computers for quite a while, definitely on the list of to do! Hopefully they can help me out up in Canada!

silverado13

Reaction score
thats something to consider for my gmt800, for my gmt400 i did the nbs 411 pcm swap and when i had lextech tune it, i had him put an aggressive tune on it and take the govenor off of it, i have a esky cluster in it that reads up to 120 mph, first attempt to top it out i barried the needle and was still accelerating, so i tried it again with the torque app running and my garmin and tom tom gps's running and it stopped pulling at 131 mph, after that i decided to never do that again because that truck was floating around way to much

02Beast

Reaction score
Thanks everyone and yeah I've had it up to 120mph and that was only because I had a mustang in my ear running it's mouth. Needless to say it's topped out, mine kept going.

silverado13

Reaction score
Thanks everyone and yeah I've had it up to 120mph and that was only because I had a mustang in my ear running it's mouth. Needless to say it's topped out, mine kept going.

i loved racing other trucks with govenors because everyone say, race you to 100 (really 97) and i would always respond nah make it 110

Julie@BBP

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I just joined the forum and would be more than happy to help answer any questions you might have.

Feel free to PM me or shoot me an email at [email protected].

Thanks!
Julie

ProShoCustoms

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I just joined the forum and would be more than happy to help answer any questions you might have.

Feel free to PM me or shoot me an email at [email protected].

Thanks!
Julie

Wow great to have you here, Julie!

Great write up on this, as well. I'm going to be getting one for my truck pretty soon and love to hear nothing but good things about them!

Old77

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, Julie!! I figured it was a matter of time before BBP made a presence here :)

02Beast

Reaction score
Agreed see BB is everywhere this only furthers postive notes on what I said that's why I rep them on the top of my back glass so everyone knows what my truck is running

silverado13

Reaction score
when they rebuilt it..... did they tell you what was wrong with it? because that could have just been a shift solenoid

02Beast

Reaction score
Yes my 3-4 were gone and my planetaries were close to shattering inside the tranny itself. Oh and BAM!! SENIOR MEMBER STATUS NOW

962000chevy

Reaction score
I love the tune on my 96 made for a completely different ride. All friends have their tunes as well simply after riding in my truck before and after. I think that speaks for itself.

Members online

No members online now.