Door panel swap

05train

Reaction score
I'm glad to finally see that there is a gmt800 specific forum now. I have a project that I have been working on that I need some info on. I purchased a 01 2500hd crew cab short bed truck to "restore". I have dealt with lifted trucks for many years and over the course of the last 10 yrs primarily diesels. I decided this time that I was going to pick a worthy "project" and build it to suit myself out of my wallet. I picked up a Southern rust free never been wrecked 6.0 truck to work with. I have already completed a sas with a dana 60 in front, and I have rebuilt both axles front and rear with 4.88 gears. I plan to pick up small things that I need as I go which brings me to my question. My door panels are the worst for wear and need replaced. They have a few small tears in the vinyl. Will the panels from a 03-07 classic truck fit my doors? I know the switches are different but I imagine they could be wired in. I believe the panels will bolt right in just like they came from the truck. I called one large scale junk yard and the kid on the phone said they wouldn't work, but I am satisfied he was telling me what his computer in front of him said. Has anybody put the 03-07 door panels on the 99-01 trucks?

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
I think they should work, it would just be a matter of rewiring all the door controls because all the harnesses are different. So could be a challenge.

Sent from Team Sierra

Last edited:

orangeastre

Reaction score
The panels will physically fit, nothing changed that way between 99-06. The switches may pose some problems for you. 99-02 used a high current old school style window switch, 03-07 used a lower current switch that works with the BCM to operate the windows. 99-02 used actual door lock switches, 03-07 were on the databus .

I have never tried mounting 99-02 switches in the 03+ panels, that might be the easiest way to go.Good luck!

05train

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input, and the info on the switches orangeastre. I may just end up have the interior guy redo mine. If the newer ones would fit I think I could have saved some money in the long run.

Members online

No members online now.