heads and cam thread

silverado13

Reaction score

DMarts10

Reaction score
good choice of heads. the 243's and 799's flow fantastic. A lot of people try and get more than $400 for them, but that seems to be the going rate. Could I ask why you are going to mill them that much? If you would like to bump compression I would choose an alternative head. Those heads are best left alone, or ported and polished. What cam(s) and springs are you considering?

Last edited:

silverado13

Reaction score
No idea what cam yet, and I'd like to get them from 66cc combustion chamber to 60-62 that way I don't lose compression. I'm staying with the stock dish pistons so from what I've read, I'll lose compression

DMarts10

Reaction score
I guess my first question should have been what motor are these heads going on. I assume you have an lq4 motor as you referred to dished pistons. Installing these heads on an lq4 would yield a lower compression than when the heads were on a stock trailblazer ss motor, because that motor, although similarly a 6.0, is a lq9, with flat top pistons (creating a higher compression). So by decking the heads 30 thousandths you hope to achieve the stock trailblazer ss compression. My personal opinion is to not deck the heads. Those heads are as valuable as the entire motor from my experience. I would look to build the bottom end in the future and use whichever piston you please to achieve the compression you want. There is no turning back once you plane those heads. I decked the heads on my current lq4 build to bump compression, but they are 706s that I got for free. I plan on picking up 243s and procharging the car one day, to take full advantage of the dished pistons.

DMarts10

Reaction score
Forgot the 5.3s had dished pistons too. I would still stay away from decking those heads, as it will cut down on their flow. Leaving them as is may enable you to run a larger cam due to the larger ptv clearance.

silverado13

Reaction score
With dish pistons there shouldn't be any Ptv issue. I need to talk to my tuner about the heads once I get them because he's going to be the one grinding my cam. So he of all people would know weather or not I should mill them. I just don't like the idea of losing compression

silverado13

Reaction score
okay so quick update, i dont like my brain because its always changing plans, i was going to do heads and cam, 6 inch lift and 35s, but recently i decided that its not worth it becuase i dont go mudding enough to try to make a crazy mud monster, it would essentually be a badass pavement queen, so i think what imma do instead is still go with the heads, im going to call the machine shop today and get a quote for the milling, then ill probably do a 3 inch level with 33s, and then after my truck is paid off, ill just buy a car, like a trans am/camaro/gto and make that my project race car

silverado13

Reaction score
its not the money, its the concept of investing and building a truck with no purpose, i dont go mudding enough to justify building a mud monster, and its a Z71 so making it a racetruck is also pointless, im going to do just the heads so wake it up a little then buy a car as a project

Bonecollector

Reaction score
Dude my friend has a cammed z71 and he doesnt mud or race it he just drives it

Once I learn more about it I'm going to do it and I drive mine normally and occasionally mud, off road a lot tho haha, don't need to race lol

Sent from Team Sierra

silverado13

Reaction score
ill probably be gaining 50hp with just the heads, which should be enough for now, but if i did the cam, id be wasting money becuase my plan is to buy a car and do heads cam and bolt ons, so the money id spend on a cam, i could put into something else, and then be able to race like i want to, even if i buy a cam from jon, i still have to buy springs, push rods, and then a dyno tune, i just dont see the point in that for what im trying to accomplish with this truck, now if i buy a trans am/camaro/gto, my intention will be to get it into the 10s with just heads, cam and bolt ons

silverado13

Reaction score
and richard your preaching to the choir, i could conservatively only use a quarter of a tank for the whole weekend, but weekend i always end upfinding some races and burn the rest of the tank, which ive come to accept that

Last edited:

2003tahoe

Reaction score
and richard your preaching to the choir, i could conservatively only use a quarter of a tank for the whole weekend, but weekend i always end upfinding some races and burn the rest of the tank, which ive come to accept that

choir

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.