LED lights under hood D.I.Y.

yukonxxl

Reaction score
Hi guys. So if you have ever had to work on your truck at night you know having more light is always better. well, I've got a great solution to the engine bay light on your truck. first you are going to need some parts.

Parts
-Led lights. ~$9
ScreenShot2014-06-10at83054AM.png

-18 gauge wire or less. $15
(I used 18/2 outdoor light wire from home depot. but you can use speaker wire as well.)
- #8 1/2" pan head screws $4
-electrical tape

Tools
-solder gun
-flat head screwdriver
-wire strippers
-drill with drill bit
-metal coat hanger or fish tape

OK so the first step is taking the under hood light apart. You are going to use the flat head screw driver to pop out the clear lens. Then you are going to remove the bulb. once you have done this you will drill the hole on the side of the plastic frame. slide the wire through and solder the wire to the terminals. (you will need to get it pretty hot because they have a coating on them) make sure you keep the + wire the same throughout the entire install. This is very important!!

IMAG1853.jpg

IMAG1860.jpg

Now that you have your wire connected you can start routing the wire under the hood liner. This is where you will use the coat hanger or fish tape. Make sure you unplug the light or else the wires will be live!!!

IMAG1855.jpg

now solder your light connections. Make sure your + stays + ,and your - stays - if they ever change the lights will not work. Tape up your connections. When I did my install i would run the wire, then attach the light, then run the next wire. You can do it in any order you want just make sure that your connections are well insulated.

IMAG1862.jpg

When mounting the lights use the double sided tape provided on the lights to stick in place. After they are in place screw down one side to prevent them from ever falling off. (be careful not to break the light by going too tight)

After you are done with all the lights you can connect the plug back into the light and mount it back in place. you may need to cut the liner so the wire goes to the side of the light.

IMAG1861.jpg

now enjoy never having to dig for a flashlight when you need to see inside your engine bay at night.

IMAG1856.jpg

IMAG1857.jpg

IMAG1851.jpg

31716c8c-b3e5-47db-b8fe-6ede1cb5b797.jpg

yukonxxl

Reaction score
the wreckers around here remove them before they hit the yard because of the mercury inside them.

Yeah, I thought the switch inside was mercury until I took it all apart. it actually is a weight that looks like a spade with a contact on top that completes the circuit when the hood opens. pretty interesting design by GM.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I hope this write up helps you guys.

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
you can add your own hood switch. look for something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-ADJUSTA...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4137483a&vxp=mtr

just grab power from anywhere near the electrical box and run the wire up towards the windshield.

Sorry to bother again, I'm still looking at doing this to my truck. That good pin switch that you showed me, does that close the switch (turn lights on) when the pin is out?? I'm a little confused about these switches, how do you go about wiring them? I'm guessing that you just put it somewhere where it's grounded and when the pin is pushed down it breaks the ground???

I'm also looking at doing something similar to the engine bay lights with the hood pin switch in my bed under my fibreglass tonneau cover.

Thanks in advance

yukonxxl

Reaction score
Yes the switch closes the circuit when the hood is opened. You can put the switch on either side of the circuit (+) or (-). I would tap into a circuit that has 12v constant.

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
Yes the switch closes the circuit when the hood is opened. You can put the switch on either side of the circuit (+) or (-). I would tap into a circuit that has 12v constant.

How do you wire them though? Judging by all the pictures I see there is only one pin to attach a wire?

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
I'm no expert but there's no way that would work. It would have to be ground going to the pin no? Then when the pin is pushed down the ground is broken? That's the only way it makes sense to me but I'm still no sure cause seems like such a stupid way to make a switch

2003tahoe

Reaction score
I'm no expert but there's no way that would work. It would have to be ground going to the pin no? Then when the pin is pushed down the ground is broken? That's the only way it makes sense to me but I'm still no sure cause seems like such a stupid way to make a switch

Ill think about it tomorrow how to say what im thinking when im awake

yukonxxl

Reaction score
sorry, i looked at the switch again and the switch is ONLY for the Ground. here are a few pictures i found on goggle of the switch installed.

ScreenShot2014-07-03at103652AM.png

ScreenShot2014-07-03at103637AM.png

ScreenShot2014-07-03at103631AM.png

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
sorry, i looked at the switch again and the switch is ONLY for the Ground. here are a few pictures i found on goggle of the switch installed.

ScreenShot2014-07-03at103652AM.png

ScreenShot2014-07-03at103637AM.png

ScreenShot2014-07-03at103631AM.png

Ok so my theory is correct then? When the pin is pushed in down the ground is broken therefore switch is off?

What is everyone's thoughts on putting one of these on my bed rail under the tonneau cover for bed lights? Would I get a solid ground there? Maybe have to chip the bed liner off and scrape paint??

yukonxxl

Reaction score
yes. when the switch is depressed the circuit is broken. once the switch is extended the ground is initiated and the circuit is complete. (lights on) You more than likely will have to sand down the area you mount the switch to bare metal to get a good ground. I would paint it after installing (at least clear finger nail polish) to prevent rust. good luck and post some pics of your install.

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
For sure will be doing a DIY guide at least for bed lights, probably just update this thread with instructions for how do engine bay lights with the hood pin switch on 04+ trucks. Probably a few more weeks before I get around to this. Thanks a lot yukonxxl, you are very helpful

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.