Led switchbacks turn signal

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
So I got my led switchbacks for my turn signals today and attempted to install. Did not go well. The LEDs are supposed to flash amber for the turn signal and turn to white when I have my parking light on (low element). Well I wired the resistors in properly (tap in to ground and turn signal wire) and I put the led bulb in. When I signal the amber color stays on constant while the white light flashes with the signal. And if I disconnect the resistor the amber hyper flashes while the white remains off. If I rotate the bulb 180* it doesn't work at all. Anybody ever done this before? So confused right now.

Bonecollector

Reaction score
Sound like you hooked it up in parallel, the resistor should be only attached to the power wire only, not the ground at all

sewlow

Reaction score
West Coast, Canada. 800' from the border.
Try running an 'EP29' flasher unit (digital) along with the resistor. $5.00? It's a direct replacement for the one in there now.
Running one or the other is usually the cure for hyper-flash associated with LED's, but I have been told by a member on another forum that this is how he got his to work.
He had posted a vid, but damned if I can find it.

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
Alright so after messing around with it a bit more, I managed to f*** up the parking light somehow. The low element doesn't work anymore on either side. Not sure why.

WScott404

Reaction score
The hyperflash can be resolved with a LM487 lighting module. As far as the LEDs are concerned, I went on to Amazon and looked for the highest rated switchback LEDs i could find at a reasonable price. Some switchbacks are $h!t and burnout (like the first set I purchased) but the seller made it good and sent me a killer replacement set. I couple those with the clear parking lenses, looks great. The LEDs should also be plug'n'play, shouldn't be any wiring mods to do (unless thats what you're going for.)

I know I'm on the tail-end of this thread, but I hope it all works/worked out.

2003tahoe

Reaction score
On mine the front driver side bulb had a bad soldering point and would make my hazard lights come on but not flash when i used either turn signal try canbus bulbs or try pluging a regular bulb to isolate the issue

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
Lol sorry guys I fixed this up quite a while back. The parking light not working turned out just being a blown fuse. The switchback bulbs turned out being faulty and I bought new type 1 that alternate amber white amber white. Here is the setup I'm running now.

yqe9emaz.jpg

Deleted my drl and tapped my parking light to my drl wire. Wired up another signal socket. This makes the led switchbacks operate as my drl until I activate the signal.

3linkedchevy

Reaction score
I am going to bump this thread...

So probably a year or so ago (maybe longer, can't remember), I swapped out all tail light bulbs to LEDs, I wired in the resistors, no issues. Well I finally decided to take advantage of Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals and ordered LEDs for the front turn signals and DRLs. I was going to ditch the resistors in the rear and swap out the flasher relay....

So the question I have... where the hell is the flasher relay located? Can't find any pictures online anywhere. This is on a '99 Sierra by the way.

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
It's under your dash I believe behind the fuse panel on the drivers end of the dash. Not sure exactly how you get at it but I'm almost positive that's where it's at

Sent from Team Sierra

3linkedchevy

Reaction score
It's under your dash I believe behind the fuse panel on the drivers end of the dash. Not sure exactly how you get at it but I'm almost positive that's where it's at

Sent from Team Sierra

Yup, found it this morning when I got to work. My hands are too small to squeeze up in there. So it will have to wait until I get home so I can unscrew that panel under the steering wheel.

2003tahoe

Reaction score
i took mine out to see if it was bad because is i turn one blinker on the others flash dim found out it was a ground but to get to that take the front kick panel off and it will be behind the fuse box pointiong to the driver seat

3linkedchevy

Reaction score
Yeah, ended up finding it. Mine faced the steering column (this is on a '99). I was able to touch it without taking the kick panel off, but my hands are too big. Ended up taking the kick panel off and took all of about 5 minutes to get swapped out and put the panel back on.

Members online

No members online now.