11 tahoe brakes on 02 silverado

adriver

Reaction score
The NNBS suv uses a larger rotor and a smaller caliper, its not an upgrade. The NBS suvs use a 13" rotor vs your current 12.8, and a slightly larger pad. The NBS SUV is an upgrade but not by much, and its the only factory rear upgrade option.

The fronts are the NNBS upgrade. If your 02 fronts are factory, then those fronts are an upgrade. You will need 17" wheels if you do.

stutaeng

Reaction score
What about the 2020 Silverado brake upgrade? I've see YT videos and the guys mentioned just some shims (they used washers) are required, but otherwise it seems like a direct swap.

Edit: https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/to...ton-caliper-swap-complete-2006-silverado-z71/

I'm in the process of swapping rear axle from a 2015 Silverado (12 bolt hybrid 9.5" GM/AAM axle) into my 99 NBS. The stock 16" wheels won't clear due to the larger rotors. I haven't figured out what wheels I'm going to run yet.

Last edited:

adriver

Reaction score
Yeah the 2020+ 4piston fronts are an option. The video posted by Partsman57 in here is great and sums it up. I posted info on the shim, but you could probably go into your hardware store with your dial caliper and find something so you don't spend $15 on a few washers.

It's still a work-in-progress finding out which wheels work. I don't think there's a factory 17" that will fit because of the barrel. There was at least one 17" aftermarket wheel that fits with a spacer. Some 18s will fit, but I couldn't tell you which ones. You could spend about $100-$150 and get longer lug bolts and a spacer, then you should have a selection of 18's that will fit.

I have an 02 reg cab. I did the SUV rears, NNBS fronts, and what I want to make sure you are aware of is, the hydroboost swap. You swap out the vacuum booster to the hydraulic booster used in some SUVs, the 3/4, & full ton.

If you just slam on any decent brakes, you will skid if the tires can't hold the acceleration change. The hydroboost difference is after you start to brake, it's as if it gives you this extra force you can apply to the brakes. For me to try to compare it, go out and push your brakes, that's how you stop when you are driving. Then go and pump them three times, and that's what the hydroboost feels like all the time. You can quickly adjust to it, its just compared to the vacuum brakes, you can progressively increase your braking force.

After doing this, you need to go out and relearn how to brake. You learn how to stop progressively, and need to go out and practice to gain confidence in your new braking ability. Since doing this, I can out stop everything else on the road. Have you ever been in traffic when everyone panic stops, you hear tires skidding, and one lane "unzips" to try to create two lanes or there will be an accident? I now always take the shorter side so I can give up the extra space to those behind me.

Attachments

• hydroboost description.PNG
    hydroboost description.PNG
    38 KB · Views: 2

Members online

No members online now.