Ball Joints

rogue212005

Reaction score
Ok, so the lower ball joints are wore out, according to my mechanic they need about $400 to do the job. How hard is it to press them out and the new ones back in?

Old77

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They do take some work but they are doable on your own. With them being pressed in you'll need to rent that too to extract them and put them back in.

With that said, they sell the whole lower control arm assembly complete with ball joint for less than $100 a piece on Rock Auto. That'd save you a ton of time and some money (from having to have a shop to the work). Control arms are pretty straight forward to take on and off. Just remember to get an alignment when your done just to be on the safe side ;) A good brand to look for is Moog.

Last edited:

Horse-Power

Reaction score
What he said, if you dont have the press/limited on experience get some control arm assemblies.

Half the cost, Half the time, Twice the Beer :D

silverado13

Reaction score
Ok, so the lower ball joints are wore out, according to my mechanic they need about $400 to do the job. How hard is it to press them out and the new ones back in?

with the press tool from autozone and some patience......and a hammer, its not that bad of a job, i did both lower and upper in a weekend, uppers are a little different to change for the first time because they are rivited on and are such a pain to remove, replacements just bolt in though, so once you do it once, everytime after that is easy

02Beast

Reaction score
I had this same issue except it was when I was putting on my lift kit I ended up having to get a shop do my lowers for like $30 the uppers I did myself with the tool

Members online

No members online now.