Dash Peeling

el_flores

Reaction score
Since this is the official GMT800 site, I would like to hear the solutions people have discovered for solving this problem. Tips, advice, websites, whatever's helpful!

Bonecollector

Reaction score
I've seen people sand, prime and repaint the dashes but that's a lot of work to get out

Sent from Team Sierra

silverado13

Reaction score
people repaint their dash all the time, i have never done it but its common enough that it shouldnt be hard, but id imagine most people on here with a truck 10 years old or older should have that issue

Bonecollector

Reaction score
Neither of my trucks do **knock on wood**, must be because of the climate I live in, it doesn't get blistering hot like down south

Sent from Team Sierra

el_flores

Reaction score
I keep on hearing, reading that it is because of ArmorAll or similar products being used on them. It is waterbased paint and it reacts to chemicals. I believe it, but it doesn't solve the problem. I will probably go the SEM route. Feather out the damage, lightly coat it, and see how it turns out.

Bonecollector

Reaction score
That is very believable, I don't really clean my dash, just a slightly damp cloth does the trick

Sent from Team Sierra

BigGraySophieTheSierra

Reaction score
I've been using different products like Armor All on my dash for years now, and parking in the sun every day, my upper dash is still doin okay. I've got one spot next to my glove box that started peeling before I got the truck though

2003tahoe

Reaction score
ok well im back after a couple days, what happens is that its a water-based paint that gm uses and so far it doesnt happen on 07.5+ models, the way to fix is to take the dash off and peel all the old paint off and get the oem type paint from napa or another parts house that sells this type paint and spray the entire dash to not have odd looking splotches, that's how i have always done my friends and 4 years later its still looking good. armor all does make this problem faster but isnt the main cause its the chemicals, heat, rubbing to hard, etc.

BigGraySophieTheSierra

Reaction score
a6f5e99c3c6a42463d15c131399f1e26.jpg

BadChevyZ-71

Reaction score
Great information! My dash just started to crack right above the instrument cluster and has been peeling for a while now. How hard is it to repair a crack in the dash pad before I start painting? Can you use a different color paint and then add a clear coat for extra protection?

04-2500HD

Reaction score
Mine is peeling pretty good too and I'm in MN. Never worried too much about it, but it looks like crap.

2003tahoe

Reaction score
i found the paint i used to paint with its sem and its about $12 for their classic coat it looks just like the factory color