Electric fan upgrade

Kkirwan71

Reaction score
I dislike clutch fans with a passion. How hard is it to convert these trucks over to electric fan?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bonecollector

Reaction score
Need to get a tune after to make it work if you choose factory fans, or you can try a flexalite kit that i don't think needs a tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMC4x4

Reaction score
You can install any fan you want with a universal wiring kit.

RAGMC

Reaction score
Im really wanting to do this as well in my 99. It has the small radiator and Ive priced switching to the larger rad with electric fans ect. and going the aftermarket rout and its almost about the same. Well going factory is a little more because of having to have the ECM tuned and if you can find good used parts and or aftermarket.

01ssreda4

Reaction score
Depends on the year truck as to how easy it is if you want the pcm to control them. For my 04 I bought the fans, a Nelson harness, and turned them on in the tune. Very easy. Search around performance trucks for all the details.

2003tahoe

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/JET-60605-Fan-Relay-Kit/dp/B00AOLGSIS"]Amazon.com: JET 60605 Fan Relay Kit: Automotive[/ame]
jet 60605 kit it worked out easy but the relay seems to keep blowing now its not the kit but something else i need to fix now, also sorry about the wait forgot my password and my phone wont accept it.

Bonecollector

Reaction score
For that cable upgrade, I need to change the alternator cable, and the main ground, what's the other one I should change? And how big should I go?

Bonecollector

Reaction score
Why did you use the cable from a v6 is it bigger gauge or what? Ive seen on other websites they call upgrading the power and grounding cables to bigger gauges the big 3 upgrade

GMT

Reaction score
(Question below was originally posed to former member "Superban2004" in regards to a photo he posted, and then subsequently removed, and then inexplicably edited each and every one of his posts with the word "Bye", which the admins eventually removed. Hence the question below is completely out of context given what is left of this thread).

Does the 4GA wire from the 4.3L also have a fusible link?

It didn't look like it in your photo... unless the fusible link was in the part of the cable you cut off when you shortened it?

Last edited:

GMT

Reaction score
(Response below was originally in answer to former member "Superban2004" after he stated that he used a very large gauge wire without a fuse or a fusible link, and in fact cut the fusible link off. Perhaps due to not having an internal fuse, he inexplicably edited each and every one of his posts with the word "Bye", which the admins eventually removed. Hence the response below is completely out of context given what remains of this thread).

Ah, that explains what I was seeing. Thanks for the answer!

By the way, thanks for posting all the GM packaging photos that have the part numbers on them. That is very helpful to future searchers, and is an extra step on your part that is much appreciated.

Do you know the part number to the 2006 Tahoe relay board harness you installed... in particular the 3 relay and fuse add on panel itself? The GMPartsWholesale online diagrams show it as call out number 5 in the parts explosion diagrams, but do not list number 5 in the accompanying parts description listing. That often means the part has been discontinued, but it is hard to know with certainty without knowing the part number.

I see you posted the part number to the new cover you bought for the entire underhood electrical center, because you bought it new. Which gives me some hope that the add on relay board might still be available as well. I know you got yours used from a friend, but I was hoping that a part number might be visible somewhere on the relay board, or that you made note of it before you installed it. Any chance you have or can get the part number?

Last edited:

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
Having that large gauge wire with no fuse is very dangerous if it shorts.

GMT

Reaction score
one of the factory auxiliary battery setups runs a cable straight from the battery to the starter.

Actually, MORE than just one of the factory auxiliary battery setups runs a cable straight from the auxiliary battery to the starter.

And in every one of those set ups, that OEM cable has a fusible link! It is not shown in the parts explosion diagram, because the fusible link is incorporated as part of the cable assembly. You can't get the factory cable without a fusible link.

That's why I asked about your 4GA cable, because I was SHOCKED (ha ha) to see a factory wire that fat within 18" of a power generator or battery without a fusible link. You made me know the world was right again when you said that it had one, and you had cut it off. What you do with your truck is your business, but it would have been NHTSA recall city if GM actually sold vehicles like that.

Back to electric fans... I have twin electric fans on one of my trucks. These relatively small twin fans are shrouded directly to the oil to air fin and plate transmission cooler, and are in addition to, not in lieu of, the engine driven clutch fan. Different brand truck, so the transmission cooler isn't where it is in a GMT800. But cooler location isn't the point...

The point is that I ran my electric fans for 10 minutes last night, with the engine just idling, nothing more. The truck hadn't been driven in a couple of weeks, so I was doing a periodic start, run, and exercise all systems. After I shut the truck off, and just before I shut the hood, for some reason I decided to feel the external fuse holder for the fans. It was very very very warm through the rubber cover.

I opened the cover, and sticky black goo combined with crispy res-olidified plastic greeted me. I was looking at what was left of the 10 amp fuse, which had completely melted away... WITHOUT BREAKING CONTACT! The fans could still run, and the metal skeleton of the fuse, looking like a miniaturization of the aftermath photos of the burnt and twisted steel skeletal remains of WTC, was still marginally in tact (until I touched it with insulated pliers... then it crumbled apart).

It was just blind luck that I caught it. My expectation was that a fuse should separate electrically before melting inseparably into its holder, but that didn't happen here.

Inexplicable electrical faults can and do happen. How much factory engineered protection you are comfortable rolling the dice without... is obviously your call. But that fuse melting was certainly a wake up call for me.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.