How to decipher VIN?

Bonecollector

Reaction score
How can I use the VIN of a truck to figure out everything about it? Like engine size, transmission, gearing etc?

2003tahoe

Reaction score
Check out lmc truck the front couple pages will tell you i think its even on their online cat. And to get the most info try this website : compnine : it will tell you even if you have g80 rear end with 3.73 down to the exhaust tip

Bonecollector

Reaction score
I know that parts guys can use your vin to figure out info about your truck, reason I want to this info is because my brother is interested in an 06 Chevy 1500 and buddy says it has a 5.7L, I doubt that, I'd like to know what motor and tranny it has

2003tahoe

Reaction score
I know that parts guys can use your vin to figure out info about your truck, reason I want to this info is because my brother is interested in an 06 Chevy 1500 and buddy says it has a 5.7L, I doubt that, I'd like to know what motor and tranny it has

all i ask at my work is like brake code when it pops up and the 8th number like z or t for 5.3 and rear end thats about it that it shows me for our stuff but pm me the vin and ill look it up for you

Bonecollector

Reaction score
You work at a parts place? Does the codes on the door help at all? I don't have the VIN at the moment I can PM you after he has the truck, guy said it was the 5.3 he was mistaken in the ad when he wrote it, under the hood looks like my truck, be nice to know all the particulars

2003tahoe

Reaction score
You work at a parts place? Does the codes on the door help at all? I don't have the VIN at the moment I can PM you after he has the truck, guy said it was the 5.3 he was mistaken in the ad when he wrote it, under the hood looks like my truck, be nice to know all the particulars

Yea if you got a bore scope you can check if the piston is dished (5.3) or flat top (4.8)
Edit: i think the newer ones after 07.5 are flat all around on 4.8/5.3

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Reaction score
The Sticker on the door has all those codes, is there any sites that tell you what all they mean? Im going to try that other site you sent me aswell on a few of our other trucks aswell, been really busy lately havent gotten to it

2003tahoe

Reaction score
Pretty mucch only one i have come across is compnine ohh and i forgot theres a way to get a free car history let me look really quick it worked for me found out its never been wreck but it was own by a chick i that shocked me :eek:
Could you wait a couple mins?

2003tahoe

Reaction score
That website i pm'ed you should be a free history checker it worked for me like i said itll show everything down to inspections

Members online

No members online now.