In the market for a programmer

cedens

Reaction score
I have been looking into a programmer but, i have one major criteria and just want to buy one and do not wish to pay a fee to bully dog.

I have 4 Trucks on the farm here, the 2000 & 2006 with the 5.3, 2WD, and 2 2010 2500HD's Z71's with 6.0 Gas engines (only difference is 4dr/ext cab and a few bells and leather)

I need one Unit I can adjust all 4 if needed......

Now i want to add a further interesting component, i want to be able to tune the 2012 Cruz gas sipper and the 2006 Caddy (also with the 6.0)

Thankfully the 82 gets tuned with a screw driver and an ear.

Old77

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can get a programmer that'll tune both the cruz and the caddy since the drivetrains are completely different.

Otherwise I'd tell you to go with Blackbear. If you get an AutoCal you can put several tunes on it for multiple vehicles and they can set you up with a tune for all of your LS based motors.

dirtyhick42

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can get a programmer that'll tune both the cruz and the caddy since the drivetrains are completely different.

Otherwise I'd tell you to go with Blackbear. If you get an AutoCal you can put several tunes on it for multiple vehicles and they can set you up with a tune for all of your LS based motors.

But he doesn't wanna spend an arm and a leg but each of those tunes is a couple hundred dollars and idk about you but to me that's a pretty penny.

Old77

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, each person's "arm and a leg" is different than another's :D also, i'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" and BB Tune is the first tune that has done anything for me. In the past I've had Hypertech and another (can't remember the name) and they did nothing for me at all.

cedens

Reaction score
Well i don't want to deal with sending crap off to BB, plus they don't have a phone number or address on the website which is a red flag for me, sorry but if your in a business and not going to tell me where i don't trust you with my CC info.

But i just want to spend a few hundred on one item, i can take to all 4 trucks and optimize if needed. Mosly i need it for the 2010 2500 HD i drive daily, it may be worth the 2-5 MPG's that one i don't pull usually drive down dirt roads at lower speeds, that truck was bought to survive nasty rutted up break a half ton roads.

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
I have an edge evolution cts in my truck. They're pretty good tuners. Better than bully dog anyways. Here's how I mounted it in my 04 sierra.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 7

02Beast

Reaction score
Bud just imagine from their perspective here.
Oh my God hey Chuck this tuner is the best shit since sliced bread you should look into it. Chuck tells Larry who then tells bill who in turn tells pauly well now you got four mf'ers who might not even buy calling up your local business and asking a million and one questions, you'd have to have a whole damn slough of people just to answer the phone. Would you want that drama? And bt dubbs their out in San Diego.
Lastly even if I didn't have the money and was in the market for a tune I'd wait 100 years over before I wasted my money on something that isn't anywhere near blackbear

Last edited:

dirtyhick42

Reaction score
But i just want to spend a few hundred on one item, i can take to all 4 trucks and optimize if needed. Mosly i need it for the 2010 2500 HD i drive daily, it may be worth the 2-5 MPG's that one i don't pull usually

Few hundred will usually only get you 1 tune no matter where you go and if you find any cheaper I wouldn't really trust it at all. Blackbear is the way to go though. I have it on my truck and I love it. I'm not sure how realistic 2-5 mpg increase from a tune is on a gas motor though.

02Beast

Reaction score
Few hundred will usually only get you 1 tune no matter where you go and if you find any cheaper I wouldn't really trust it at all. Blackbear is the way to go though. I have it on my truck and I love it. I'm not sure how realistic 2-5 mpg increase from a tune is on a gas motor though.

I dint either unless you've got an exhaust and CAI

Old77

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I've got a BB Tune on my burb but I went the performance route and my MPG stayed the same. I have heard several say that they went with more of a MPG tune and many of them are getting a ~2 MPG increase. As stated, anything above that is a LOT to ask for just from a tune.

dirtyhick42

Reaction score
I've got a BB Tune on my burb but I went the performance route and my MPG stayed the same. I have heard several say that they went with more of a MPG tune and many of them are getting a ~2 MPG increase. As stated, anything above that is a LOT to ask for just from a tune.

I stayed the same with my tune but that was coming from a l33 to a lq4. I also went with performance based so I was very happy with that haha.

Old77

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I stayed the same with my tune but that was coming from a l33 to a lq4. I also went with performance based so I was very happy with that haha.

LOL as was I!! My burb was such a slug from the factory I figured I could make more use of performance than I could going from 13 mpg in the city to 14-15 mpg in the city LOL ....and it did make a large improvement in it's performance for sure especially when I hit the tow/haul button for "sport mode".

VJR021

Reaction score
Superchips Programmers can handle multiple VIN's with one programmer... And you have the option to change parameters when you want (Performance, Towing, Economy, etc)

I have been happy with mine... On trips I get 3-4mpg better economy, can adjust for tire size, etc.

look into it.

Members online

No members online now.