Newby 4.8 Towing Question

mcss1986

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 2004 to 2006 4x4 ext short box for mostly general light duties and once in a while tow my 1986 Monte Carlo SS. Total trailer and load will be around 5500 lbs with two passengers and light cargo.

-Will the small 8 (4.8) be able to do this without overworking it?
-Are there any power enhancements to increase the torque and possibly improve gas consumption?

The plan is to keep this truck for a long time, restore it to new appearance and keep it looking that way. I think I have automotive OCD and cant tolerate driving a junky vehicle. I'll post pics of my hobby car soon.
Thanks
Ed in Toronto

RoughRiderZ71

Reaction score
The 4.8 would do fine, but personally, i'd go with the 5.3L. More power, and not a significant decrease in fuel economy. For that platform, there are hundreds upon hundreds of aftermarket goodies for the 4.8 and 5.3. That platform is the 21st century version of the gen 1 small block chevy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mcss1986

Reaction score
Picking up a 2006 Sierra SLE 100K miles, with the 5.3 for a great price. One owner and all maint records. Biggest issue is the rockers - fender lip, floors and underbody is solid.
All in all a great vehicle for salt belt driven.

EfrainD

Reaction score
How noticeable is the difference between 4.8L and 5.3L btw? Has anyone driven both?

Members online

No members online now.