"Play" in seat backs

HD2500

Reaction score
my truck has the LT package with leather and fully adjustable front seats. However, there is about 1/2 to 1" of slop or play in the seat backs. The bottoms stay firm but i can push from behind on the seat back and wiggle it back and forth... It's annoying when I'm driving and i can see the passenger seat shaking and making noise. The driver side is the same although less noticeable since I'm sitting in it. lol
I've pulled them out and checked for anything loose, including re-tightening the bolts that hold the backs to the bottoms...no dice.
Am i the only one with this issue?

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
Pretty sure I have this problem at least with my passenger seat. Never really looked in to it as it never really bothered me that much

sewlow

Reaction score
West Coast, Canada. 800' from the border.
Did you check the bolts between the tracks & the seat base?
I've seen seats that can have a prob with the ratcheting mechanism. The catch either isn't fully engaging due to some dirt in the teeth, or the return spring has lost some of it's tension & isn't pulling the catch all the way back. Check to see if anything (seat fabric?) has become lodged behind the ratchet or caught on the splines of the pin that the handle attaches to.
Power seats, over time develop some play in the tracks themselves. The nylon teeth that drive the raise/lower/front/back operations can wear down, & for some reason, especially in seats that don't get moved from one position very much.

HD2500

Reaction score
Did you check the bolts between the tracks & the seat base?
Power seats, over time develop some play in the tracks themselves. The nylon teeth that drive the raise/lower/front/back operations can wear down, & for some reason, especially in seats that don't get moved from one position very much.

yes, i've checked every bolt i could get to and they all were nice and tight.

I believe you're right about the mechanism. I can see the "rod" that moves the seat back position, move around a little when i wiggle the seat back. It's probably not worth tearing into, but just one more thing on the list of little flaws i've encountered with this truck. Never seen any other seats in vehicles do this, only mine :rolleyes:

Georodder

Reaction score
My 2000 slt has the samething going on with the seat backs. (Both fronts). They've been like this for years. If anybody has a fix for this, post up. I'm sure it's a common thing. Drives me nuts.

str8nitro

Reaction score
my truck has the LT package with leather and fully adjustable front seats. However, there is about 1/2 to 1" of slop or play in the seat backs. The bottoms stay firm but i can push from behind on the seat back and wiggle it back and forth... It's annoying when I'm driving and i can see the passenger seat shaking and making noise. The driver side is the same although less noticeable since I'm sitting in it. lol
I've pulled them out and checked for anything loose, including re-tightening the bolts that hold the backs to the bottoms...no dice.
Am i the only one with this issue?

I had this problem, you have to take the seat out and remove the worm gear (pay close attention to how it comes out and the length of it for adjustment). Not hard to to but take your time. Do a search on eBay "GM/CHEVY/SILVERADO/TAHOE/GMC POWER SEAT TRACK REPAIR PARTS" if this link doesn't work http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=121431901114&alt=web and it looks like this ... read the description, it explains what goes bad better than I can.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1410467973604.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410467973604.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 12

str8nitro

Reaction score
Looks like I posted the wrong fix ... misread the op. The fix I posted is for when the whole seat has slop at the track. Sorry about that but I hope the fix I posted helps someone else because it's a common problem as well and a easy fix.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk 2