Starter stays cranking!!

HD2500

Reaction score
I'm trying to get to the bottom of an issue with my Dad's 03 GMC 1500HD.
Problem is, usually the first start or after it's been sitting, you turn the key to crank, but the starter remains engaged without actually firing the motor. It will just keep cranking unless you turn the key off... Typically the following attempt to start it, the engine will crank and fire normally. I've done all the research on this problem that I can, just not coming up with any definite answers.

Here's what I've replaced:
-Starter (twice) & played with different shims
-Ignition Switch
-Starter & Ignition Relays
-Ignition Key Tumbler

Nothing has affected it at all. My best guess is that when cold, something is making a connection that keeps sending power to the starter solenoid. Then, when warm (after a few consecutive starts) that connection is lost, or no longer bridged. The next place I'm going to look is the Neutral/Safety Switch.

Any ideas?

Bonecollector

Reaction score
Has the truck ever had a remote start in it?

Have you checked all the connectors for moisture? Moisture provides an excellent path for electricity to jump around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HD2500

Reaction score
Has the truck ever had a remote start in it?

Have you checked all the connectors for moisture? Moisture provides an excellent path for electricity to jump around

nope, never had a remote start. and I have only checked the connections around the parts I've replaced. Where else should I look?

Bonecollector

Reaction score
If anywhere it's probably where connections are exposed to the elements, try dielectric grease in the connections that relate to the starter

HD2500

Reaction score
I'm going to investigate the Neutral Safety switch and it's connections this afternoon when he gets home. Plus I'll look for any other exposed connections as well.
Found this diagram and I'm betting the problem lies within.

Attachments

• manual location position switch.jpg
    manual location position switch.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 7

Members online

No members online now.