4x4 question

Bonecollector

Reaction score
The Auto 4WD is life saver. It works so great when you are driving around town and some of the road is slick and some is not.

Side Question:

I know the GMT800 1500's and the 1500HD's have the option for the Auto 4WD as well as the Tahoes, 1500 and 2500 Suburbans.

Do the 2500HD's also have that option? I know my dads 3500 with the Duramax does not have the auto function and I have always been told that the Torque from the Diesel was too much for that function to handle.

So does anyone have a 2500HD with a Gas engine with the Auto 4WD? or does the auto 4WD just not come in the 2500HD, and 3500's?

My dads 2500HD Duramax only has 4 hi 4 lo and 2wd, my friends dad has 2 duramaxs, same set up in his trucks, I don't think the HDs have auto

Bonecollector

Reaction score
I don't use auto, I just use sand bags, this winter I went into 4x4 maybe 4 times and it was because It snowed like 9-10 inches over night and the other times were hunting and we broke through the hard pack

Bonecollector

Reaction score
I think after it engages it disengages after a short time, not sure tho, but you said it becomes hard to steer when it's on and I'm assuming steering was normal so it's fine

silverado13

Reaction score
if i put it in 4ew hi or low, turn the wheel locked to one side and then start moving, you can feel the front end fighting you, i didnt try that with the auto 4wd

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
if i put it in 4ew hi or low, turn the wheel locked to one side and then start moving, you can feel the front end fighting you, i didnt try that with the auto 4wd

Thats normal, it should just be jumpy when you turn your wheels, in 4 lo mine actually locked up so I wasnt moving when I let up off the brake but didn't touch the gas. In 4auto it wouldnt be jumpy, cause it's in 2 wheel drive until the rear end slips. So it's kinda hard to test 4auto but I'd imagine if 4hi works fine then 4auto should be fine too...

silverado13

Reaction score
thats what i was thinking but i figured id check with people, cant really do any tugging with the crack in the frame right now anyways so its not that important

Bonecollector

Reaction score
In auto it'll act like 2wd until you start slipping, so sounds like completely normal operation to me

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
It's be fine if you did leave it on, I wouldn't though, just more chance for it to mess up and engage the front tires when it doesn't need it, might waste gas too. Honestly I don't even use it when I'm driving in the rain, just 2 is fine until I get stuck haha

silverado13

Reaction score
its just a new feature to me and its fun to play with, we had a really bad down pore the other day and i used it, came in handy a little

962000chevy

Reaction score
I mainly use it when going to get deer( crossing unplanted feilds, small creeks, etc) smaller footprint if I can help it.

Bonecollector

Reaction score
When my 05 was my dads he always drove in 4auto, if your towing put it in 2wd, I keep mine in 2wd all the time, running it in 4 auto doesn't use any extra fuel unless it engages then it may use a little more, like said above if your going through some messy stuff id put it auto and then you don't have to worry about engaging cuz the truck will do it for you when you start getting stuck

silverado13

Reaction score
no i just thought of soemthing, ive played with the front actuator before and its a very slow moving part, how does it engage so fast upon slippage?

962000chevy

Reaction score
Electricity is faster than you are. It can since slip and engage the front faster than you can feel slip.

Members online

No members online now.