5.3 headers

RAGMC

Reaction score
I need to replace a few broken manifold studs on my 99 5.3 and if Im going to do all this work I dont want to put stock manifolds back on. Ive been looking into a set of summit shortie headers. What are you guys running and how bad of a job is it to get the broken studs out?

02Beast

Reaction score
Angle grinder for sure and it depends on what performance gains your looking for shortys will give you hp long tube will give you torque better sound quality and hp shortys is more for just racing :imo:

2003tahoe

Reaction score
Get some texas speed long tubes i have them on my 03 tahoe with high flow so im still somewhat legal and they sound good had y built for around 100 for everything shorties imo are just for looks ill post a video later if you want to hear how it sounds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 8

Old77

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We should probably let 2003Tahoe give his real world account for them but I've heard that Taylor wires are a little pricey but perform well.

silverado13

Reaction score
I need to replace a few broken manifold studs on my 99 5.3 and if Im going to do all this work I dont want to put stock manifolds back on. Ive been looking into a set of summit shortie headers. What are you guys running and how bad of a job is it to get the broken studs out?

considering you can still run the stock pipe with shortys, ill never buy long tube unless im going a radicle build

RAGMC

Reaction score
considering you can still run the stock pipe with shortys, ill never buy long tube unless im going a radicle build

Thats just it its just my driver and Im not looking into turning into another project well at least not yet. So are there any horror stories on removing broken manifold studs?

silverado13

Reaction score
ive heard them, so when i do mine i poor something like ATF on the studs and then they break loose right away, i was concerned about it with my 1997 because those studs where 16 years old and have had some serious heat treatment

02Beast

Reaction score
Always let them bitches soak overnight and again in the morning with PB Blaster Ive seen first hand this stuff crawls into the threads so you can break them loose easier

2003tahoe

Reaction score
Yo finaly got back in they are taylors about $40 bucks if your around houston i can help with the install they were 399 on sale last feb got them may when they got back in stock so about 430 total for shipping just wipe down or they turn brown and with the long tubes high flow cats and a 18" glass pack they arnt to loud need a video?

2003tahoe

Reaction score
Oh and my rear driver side bolt was broken before i touched it i made up a braket to push the header in and loss of power down low it feels pretty good