Ac gets cold, then doesn't cool

DADDY

Reaction score
My ac on my 2001 1500 pickup doesn't cool on the hot days when i need it the most. When i drive several miles, it starts cooling, and cools really well. But if i idle at a stop sign, it blows hot air again.

2003tahoe

Reaction score
If you turn it off and back on will it start coolimg again if so my dad had same problem it was his blend door, listen to see if the compressor will kick on and off

RAGMC

Reaction score
My 99 does the something on very hot days 105 plus I found that if I turn it all off for a few minutes and turn it back on it starts cooling again. Its really bad in bumper to bumper traffic and one of the main reasons why I am going to swap out for the larger radiator and electric fans out of a newer truck.

Reaction score
There is a glue / tar like substance that is applied when the vehicle is new to the blend flow door inside of the heater box.
The glue, when it gets hot, tends to bond the door to the opening.
As long as you leave the AC in the cold position - all the way, it should keep blowing cold air. At some point, the evaporator will ice up and air will not flow through it and although it will look like a solid block of ice, you will not get any cold air.

The solution is to shut off the air conditioning and leave the controls in the recirculate position.. You will probably have cold air coming out of the heater vents for 60 - 100 miles before it will defrost.

There is a tool used to replace the blend flow door actuator, the job is best left to the dealer - you can screw up more then you will probably fix.

Putting heavier rads and coolers will not do anything to fix the blend flow door problem.

RAGMC

Reaction score
I found out that the blend door on my truck wasnt closing all the way and replaced the actuator and it helped out alot. I know a bigger radiator will not help the ac at all but Im doing it more for the OE electric fan swap that I know will help on a hot day sitting in trafic.