Anyone have a cam on their 6.0?

VJR021

Reaction score
I really love the sound improvement on the 6.0 with a mild cam... Also hoping for some small torque +...

Anyone done this mod?

Anything else should be done?

Is it worth it?

962000chevy

Reaction score
Before your questions can be answered you need to provide more information. Like how is the truck used? DD, tow pig, weekend toy? How many miles are on the truck? More miles means more needs to be checked before any mods are done especially internal engine mods.

JonZ71

Reaction score
Cam, springs, possibly rockers, timing chain, oil pump.. Better to do all the stuff while you're there. Also a tune... Before you go pay hundreds for a tune, get ahold of me and i can have your truck tuned for 200 bucks.

VJR021

Reaction score
Before your questions can be answered you need to provide more information. Like how is the truck used? DD, tow pig, weekend toy? How many miles are on the truck? More miles means more needs to be checked before any mods are done especially internal engine mods.

1. Used as a weekend toy - maybe 4500 miles a year occasional towing (small boat, project car)

2. 120k miles on truck.

3. Intake, Corsa Exhaust, Superchips tune, lots of suspension mods.

962000chevy

Reaction score
I would look into the Vinci trucker can. That's what I plan to run in my 5.3 with a 3k stall behind but the larger 6.0 would tame it down and wouldn't require as large of a stall. Performance trucks would have more info.

Demon Doctor

Reaction score
The problem with the 6.0 isn't that it doesn't already produce enough horsepower, but that the torque converter for the automatic transmission is so heavy that it robs more horsepower then what the 6.0 upgrade produces.

If you get rid of the 4L80 - 85 transmission and use something else - like a standard shift transmission, you can get more performance then you can with just a simple cam swap.

Anything you do to a electronic equipped engine / power train combo is going to affect everything else, hence it will probably require some type of aftermarket retune.

There is a young man in my neighborhood that is very well known for his peak and tunes. I guess he got into the business when it was in its infancy and was very fortunate to have bought the right equipment the first time and learned how to interpret the data provided by the computer and has been very successful.. Some tuners are only out for big numbers and these guys are the guys to stay away from.

From time to time I saw new trucks with a tune that blew up and GM nullified the warranty... I don't see the point of putting in a bigger camshaft unless you can back it up with a larger intake manifold and more fuel and air.

962000chevy

Reaction score
Unless you're going super extreme with the cam the intakes on these trucks can feed the air to them. You may need to upgrade your injectors but most times the intake isn't needed unless you move the power band up way high. A tune on a stock truck is a good idea IMO and if you've done any mods at all the tune will be even more beneficial.

silverado13

Reaction score
im going to be haing a tune done o my truck after the intake, shorty headers and catback are done, mostly becuase i always want to do e-fans

962000chevy

Reaction score
Honestly LS manifolds flow really well so I'd skip the shorties especially if you want a cam. That cam will like long tubes much much more.

silverado13

Reaction score
i see what your saying but i can get shortys for under $200 and if i were to go with longtubes, id have to redo my entire exhaust and considering i havent recieved my catback i ordered last week yet, itd be a little redundant to redo my exhaust now

DMarts10

Reaction score
im building an lq4 for a rcsb currently. Went with the comp cams 224/224 14lsa with tps pushrods, milling 706 heads .030, true union kit on stock rockers, comp cams beehive springs, ls2 timing set, melling hv oil pump (not necessarily needed), ls6 intake and injectors (more for looks, but will help over 6k rpm) and stock lifters. Texas speed tells me good for at least 50rwhp over stock. I will be running around a 3500 stall speed converter as well. I'll let you know the results. Hoping to run high 12's before the giggle juice. ...Oh yeah stock bottom end btw.

silverado13

Reaction score
finally.......someone who seems to know what they are talking about, i have a question, can i just swap my cam or do i have to replace the valve springs as well, i know i want to do chromolly pushrods but id prefer to not have to replace the springs

DMarts10

Reaction score
The chromoly pushrods would be recommended if you are reving past 6k IMO. As for beehives or dual coil u will need a set of one of em. You should also consider the comp cams true union kit as I did, to replace the faulty needle bearings that come in our stock rockers (only 100 bucks). Good luck

962000chevy

Reaction score
I would save the cat back for when you build the exhaust. Just a do it once kinda thing. Or you can put on the cat back and have the shop mount the new headers to it. Idk just throwing out ways I've considered

silverado13

Reaction score
The chromoly pushrods would be recommended if you are reving past 6k IMO. As for beehives or dual coil u will need a set of one of em. You should also consider the comp cams true union kit as I did, to replace the faulty needle bearings that come in our stock rockers (only 100 bucks). Good luck

so if im staying with the stock rev range, then i shouldnt do pushrods? and what is it about camming a engine that makes yo need the valve springs

silverado13

Reaction score
I would save the cat back for when you build the exhaust. Just a do it once kinda thing. Or you can put on the cat back and have the shop mount the new headers to it. Idk just throwing out ways I've considered

the problem with that is the catback should arrive in the mail today, and i got 2.5 inch pipe, what i was saying is if i were to spend the extra money on headers, id want to do 3-3.5 inch pipe all the way

DMarts10

Reaction score
so if im staying with the stock rev range, then i shouldnt do pushrods? and what is it about camming a engine that makes yo need the valve springs

You may want to do some serious research on cams before considering one. Cams put a lot more stress on the valve train. In essence they can push your valves further open, increase ramp rates etc. I am no expert just a hobbyist, but from my understanding, the increased ramp rates are capable of breaking your stock springs. This puts you are risk of dropping a valve into a cylinder and boom. Also typically after market cams will give you more mid and top end power. So, it would be silly to cam your motor and not take full advantage of your new powerband, by not redlining higher. Hope this was a little helpful.

2003tahoe

Reaction score
I really love the sound improvement on the 6.0 with a mild cam... Also hoping for some small torque +...

Anyone done this mod?

Anything else should be done?

Is it worth it?

Try looking at delta cam tell him richard richards from friendswood sent ya maybe he could help you out but make sure you talk to jon bodwell

Members online

No members online now.