DIY LED + Stepper motors Interior mods

2003tahoe

Reaction score
PART 2: Automatic A/C Controls
To start this off you will need all the items in the first picture in this thread except the fork also you will need a 1/4 dr ratchet set and 12 leds and 12-3 resistors. To start this led mod you will need to take the dash cover off as in picture 2 at the start of this thread. when you get the cover off the dash you will need to take 2 screws out 1 on each side they are 7mm,
photo 1 (6).jpg
when you get these out you will notice it wont come out that is because there are 4 tabs, 1 on top and 1 on bottom of the screw that you just took out, for this you can use your nails or screwdriver to pop these out.
photo 2 (13).jpg
When you take care of that you will need to unplug the connectors on the back of the module. I noticed that you can use one finger and press on the top of the driver side connector and it will come out then you can get your hand in and disconnect the passenger side connector.
photo 3 (7).jpg

Last edited:

2003tahoe

Reaction score
Once you get the A/C Control module out you can take it inside and get ready to change it over to led, While taking the module apart you can plug the soldering gun in for it to warm up. To start taking it apart you will need to take the control knobs off, these will just pull off, after taking the knobs off you will need to flip the module over and start taking the screws out, they will be 5mm screws holding it together. There are 4 total there are located on the white extruded part of the housing, they will be where the indentions are on the extruded part like mentioned before there will be 4, 1 on top, bottom, left, and right.
photo 4 (10).jpg
at this point you can take the 2 pieces apart just be sure not to touch any metal on the contacts just to be safe.
photo 5 (9).jpg
now you can take the faceplate off the circuit board there may be 2 black prongs holding the circuit board to the faceplate if so you will just need to pinch those together and now you can start the led install.
photo 1 (7).jpg

Last edited:

2003tahoe

Reaction score
By now the solding iron should be hot enough to melt the solder, just like the cluster part of this thread mentioned dont have it to hot or the leads can come off the circuit board and if its to cold it can over heat the board, normally i keep my iron at 3 out of 5 right in the middle this for me is good for most things i will need to solder.
photo 3 (8).jpg
This chart is the power and ground for the leds for placement of the resistors look at the start of this thread.
Now that you have read this over you will need to flip the board over and desolder the bulbs off the board there will be 11 bulbs in total (sorry for the first picture forgot the one on the left it will be - on the left side and + on the right), for this the solder sucker comes in handy and dont force the bulb or pull on it or you have the risk of pulling the leads on the board off (thats why i have wire on the previous post because someone before me put new regular bulbs in and pulled the leads off) also if the black rubber gets in the way gently pull it off so you dont melt it just make sure you stretch it to fit over the leds.
photo 2 (14).jpg
The spot I am pointing at is a spot were you will need another led making it 12 in total, this is because the way the switch is it uses 1 bulb for 2 buttons when i put 1 in it doesnt light up both so this is where he 3mm leds came in handy.
photo 5 (10).jpg
photo 4 (11).jpg
When putting the module back together make sure all the buttons work you may need to melt some plastic to make it fit properly, after you have put everything back together make sure you put the buttons on the right was there is a little notch on the knobs were it will go on one way only.
photo (6).jpg
After everything is back together put it back in the reverse of the instruction and have fun with your new colorful A/C Control module.

Last edited:

2003tahoe

Reaction score
To have a little fun post what you would like to see for the next how to on Led installs
Finger controls on the steering wheels.
Headlight control module.
Door controls.

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
Shit yeah haha idk I'm nervous to be messing with this stuff. Doesn't help that I've never soldered before either

Last edited by a moderator:

2003tahoe

Reaction score
The best one to start off with is the finger controls since those are 10 on amazon
Amazon for factory parts and ebay for ricer stuff

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
I want to see if I can find something to experiment on at the pick n pull before I start messing with my own stuff. Probably gonna be a little while before I get around to actually doing this but I do want to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003tahoe

Reaction score
If you or anyone was around houston i would have done it but if you pay for gas and rust protection ill go to canada lol

burgundybeast04

Reaction score
Man I could pay $500 and get my entire interior redone with leds and it would still be a fraction of the price of gas to get you here lol, especially with gas prices here it's just retarded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003tahoe

Reaction score
So tomorrow im going to try to do a write up on how to instal factoryish floorwell lights and add a factory glovebox light

Members online

No members online now.