• More electrical

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Reviews of Stuff found in Auto part stores

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2003tahoe

Reaction score
Well after a little over a month i can finally do this.

The reason for this and not finding something off another website is because there isn't anything like this online, I tried to find it but there was no how to to pop the mirror apart or how to get the cover off, so what i'm trying to say is there was no explanations of any of this. Hope you like it.

On some Chevrolet trucks i've been in or seen have a resetting problem were it goes blank and all the leds light up and go to normal then do it all over. Well after some research i have found that its the resistors on the circuit board of the mirror. Over time with the help of tempeture chages the solder on the resistors will break free, i had 2 that were broken loose, causing the lose of power.

Items needed:
Soldering iron: $5 from autozone for a cheap one
Maybe half a centimeter of solder but a tube is: $3.49
T20 torx bit: single ones are around $4.99 but the sets are around same price for a whole bunch
Flat-head screwdriver: $3.99
Hands: Priceless

Ok starting off make sure you have a chevrolet not a ford for those i have no fix except to buy a chevrolet. if you have a black plastic cover covering the wires slide the top part down and pinch the bottom.
IMG_0812.jpg
then move up the mirror gently, so you dont have glue break or anything else most likely it wont break anything by going fast but dont risk it, and unplug the harness, the little tab is on the driver side of the plug.
IMG_0791.jpg
After those are disconnected pry the cover off the mount on the windshield there will be a tab on both the driver and passenger side and also on the bottom, the way i did it was pry the sides off and slide it towards you and down its hard to explain.
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
IMG_0788.jpg
IMG_0789.jpg
After that you will see a like a grey plastic and the mirror mount with the t20 screw that holds it to the metal tab its a regular thread so left is loose, loosen it just enough to slide it maybe 2-3 turns and slide it up then there will be nothing but the metal tab left on the windshield.
now its time to bring it inside to get soldering done. If you didn't pre warm the soldering iron then let it warm up and grab a beer and maybe watch the rockets :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

2003tahoe

Reaction score
Pt 2
so now you want to fix the mirror well first of all you will need a thin flat head to get between the front bezel of the unit and the body there will be multiple little tabs when you get the first one popped you will think you broke it but just keep going and it will pop off. Be careful with the bezel because its thin and can break.
IMG_0798.jpg
IMG_0801.jpg
Set the bezel aside and start with taking the mirror off but pull it out slowly because there is a little 4 wire connector on the mirror, it doesn't have a lock on it so you can just pull it out.
IMG_0802.jpg
IMG_0803.jpg
the upper left middle the square off white box is the little connector, it was kinda hard to take a picture with it in 2 pieces with only 2 hands
IMG_0804.jpg

Last edited:

2003tahoe

Reaction score
ok so when you are ready to solder touch the tip of the iron with your tounge to make sure its hot:rolleyes: the resistors you need to solder are labeled 4R3 they will be on the bottom passenger side of the mirror. you can usually see a small little line where its been broken but sometimes its broken on the bottom and you wont be able to see it, also if you add some in you only need a little dab not a whole bunch.
IMG_0806.jpg
if you want the black plastic piece that covers the wires, i bought mine from ebay for $5.32 now it looks like a new truck again
IMG_0811.jpg
heres the part number for it
IMG_0807.jpg
if you had a hard time doing this or was tired during this heres a picture of my dog sleeping i bet you wish you were Biscuit right now.:cool:
IMG_0810.jpg

Last edited:

2003tahoe

Reaction score
Don't we all. Nice write up here.

thanks man i try to make it unlike other forums where they make it but dont show the little stuff that isnt anywhere. the mirror everyone showed the soldering only not how to take it off and disassemble it. oh by the way im upgrading to a lq9 bought for 1k and going to install it soon around 2 weeks till i do it, it comes in tomorrow ill post pics.

MYT HI

Reaction score
Nice write up. I was looking for this awhile ago but I ended up replacing the mirror

Sent from my 5.3 powered iPhone

Members online

No members online now.