sloppy steering

BigWhiteZ

Reaction score
Ok my 2000 z71 has some play in the steering, ive already replaced inner and outer tie rods, upper control arms and ball joints, idler arm and bracket, pitman arm, and a reman gear box but ive still got play. I can turn my wheel roughly 2-3 inches each direction from top dead center and watch my steering shaft rotate about half an inch each way before it actually starts to turn the gear box. Do I need yet another gear box? Thanks for any help.

Bonecollector

Reaction score
Could be worn out, sounds like you got the parts that affect the play already, I know the pitman and idler affect play a lot, same with tie rods

Sent from Team Sierra

2003tahoe

Reaction score
Just like bonecollector said and ive also heard that there is an adjustment thing on the steering box that will take some slop out i got some play to ill try to find the adjuster and tell yall later

BigWhiteZ

Reaction score
The adjuster for the gear box is a nylock nut on top of the box but im kinda leary about adjusting it cause no much will destroy a box very quickly. The only thing ive yet to replace front end wise is my lower ball joints but from watching my steering shaft the play is in the box. There is not really and tire play such as have to do corrective steering when hitting humps and bumps its just play in the steering wheel. I want to adjust the box but I also dont want to have to buy another one. Its not the steering shaft joint either its all good and tight

BigWhiteZ

Reaction score
That might just be the way they all are then. The only other things I could think it might be would either be that im running 35's or its my lower ball joints that ive yet to replace. The play didn't really start until I lifted my truck

aggieman

Reaction score
Is it only when your in park? If so then it's probably because your power steering pump is working so hard pushing 35s while sitting still. If it's all the time and your shaft is still responsive to the wheel then it's most likely either pitman or gear box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.