ebay cold air intake

silverado13

Reaction score
okay so i was going to leave my 2000 Z71 stock for the time being, well mostly because i havent had a stock vehicle in so long, but i just cant stand the look of the stock air intake ducting, so i just ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/330790771340?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649, i dont buy into "cold air intakes" enough to spend a couple hundred dollars on one, but hey $60 never hurt anyone, whats yalls opinions?

02Beast

Reaction score
I have to say mines wasn't a cheap one but I have to say it was worth the coin in aesthetics and performance
IMAG0012_1_zps696c122e.jpg.html

Fopple

Reaction score
It will definitely clear the clutch fan, as far as cold air intakes go, it don't matter where ya get it from they all do the same for our trucks, nothing for performance, but it sounds cool!

cowboy63645

Reaction score
I replaced the factory intake tube with an Airaid intake tube, kept the factory air box and added a K&N air filter. In doing so I did pick up a slight increase in throttle response. Slightly more money than the eBay CAI but much more stock looking with my benefit IMO.

02Beast

Reaction score
I've got the k&n 57 series fipk and I have to say I love it aesthetically and it gave me some performance. They say they guarantee it so I spent the little extra coin. All the peformance really comes from the tube anyways.

danzick

Reaction score
replace that junk filter. Your engine is worth much more than saving a little cash on a garage filter. Get a good S and B or AFE dry filter. Spendy but worth it IMO. K and N is no good also. Anything oiled will leave residue on your MAF sensor and you will get even worst MPG and power than with stock.

2003tahoe

Reaction score
I have the spectre cai kit from autozone for 149.99 ditched the filter bout a year later for a k&n but kept the tube and sounded a little better on my tahoe with tsp longtubes and a 21in glasspack not to loud but not quiet with all on there imo ebay ones are alittle to thin my brother bought one for his 05 accord the part that holds it down to keep it from moving is little smaller than 1/8 inch and it rippedhe learned you buy what you pay for, but hope you have better luck than him

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 9

hotrodpc

Reaction score
So how true is it that a CAI hurts the mpg? And for how long until the ECM learns what to do with the added air?

I've also heard CAI can permanently hurt the mpg until you do something with the exhaust, that when you modify the exhaust, that's when you can really tell the difference and get a better gain from a CAI. Also been told the MAF doesn't know what to do with all the extra air and it gets confused so that's why the mpg goes down, that a CAI, some Flowmasters and then a chip tune that the 3 together as a package is real trick to gaining performance and gaining mpg, but to just bolt on a CAI is not all the beneficial.

Curious to see if that seems true with you guys who have added the CAI already.

hotrodpc

Reaction score
Is this what they meant by modified exhaust??

Attachments

• HondaColdAir.jpg
    HondaColdAir.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 5

silverado13

Reaction score
Is this what they meant by modified exhaust??

yes, thats exactly what i got

i never bought into little bolt on performace upgrades, but if you compare my gmt400 which has complete bolt ons to my stock gmt800, my gmt400 would walk all over my gmt800, so at some point the bolt ons actually make a difference but i didnt order it for performance, i just hate the look of all that extra plasitic under the hood

hotrodpc

Reaction score
I think you better get 2 then. One for under the hood, and one for the tailpipe. Just Sayin'.

silverado13

Reaction score
10299821_722718761111948_826223431_n.jpg

okay there she is and new discussion, in order to get the heat shields to fit i hat to completely remove thestock air box support...... when you do you can see completely to the ground, and its a pretty big hole, so at first i was thinking, man i bet some cold air comes from fown there, i buttoned everything up and took it for a test drive, i really think there is a difference, but because it is a Z71 and i like going through stuff i figured thats not very good defense against mud or evern water on a rainy day, so i went home and took the filter out and put the support back in (the way the heat shields are designed, you can put them in with the air box support in, but once you have the heat shield in you can then put the support back in, so pros and cons, with the support out, more air flow but more exposure to water and crap vs with the support in, less air flow, but it blocks ALOT of crap from hitting the filter, whats everyones opinions

02Beast

Reaction score
I didn't have to remove any support with mine but if I did I would definitely not have a CAI you get shit up in the intake you will most certaintly regret that. Here mine excuse the filth
IMAG0012_1_zps696c122e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Members online

No members online now.