My 2000 Sierra, Sophie

BigGraySophieTheSierra

Reaction score
Lol all the vehicles I've owned I've spent all my money trying to keep them running. This one is the only one that has been around long enough for me to do some playing with. Along with keeping it running haha. Budget building sucks though

silverado13

Reaction score
because i was 17-21 years old and dogged the ever living heck out of it, crack a couple of them getting air and coming down hard, i stopped having issues when i started building my own trannys

BigGraySophieTheSierra

Reaction score
Dang, yeah that'll tear em up lol.
That's the only way to know it's going to work well is if you do it yourself, after some practice of course haha

silverado13

Reaction score
lots of research helps, before i rebuilt my first, i read up on them soo much, so when i actually got into the tranny, i had a very good idea as to what i was looking at. other then that its not hard, people are scared of them for no reason

BigGraySophieTheSierra

Reaction score
My main concern has always been the cleanliness your workspace has to maintain while you're workin on it, if I had a garage of my own I'd be okay with working on em haha.
I've tinkered with em before in school, but never built one

silverado13

Reaction score
ive built a couple on the back of my tailgate lol, all i do is before i put a hard part into the tranny i spray it down with brake cleaner, i do that with evrything except the clutches, those need to be socked in tranny fluid, plus assembly lube helps keep things clean

silverado13

Reaction score
i have a local tranny supply store a few miles from my house, rebuild kits are only $120, so that and fluid, alot better then $2500 in a shop

silverado13

Reaction score
it just goes to show though that building a tranny isnt that impossible, i remember before i did my first one, my dad told me that i couldnt do it because it was a specialty thing that only shops could do, and thats coming from my da who was a mechanic for years, i took that as a challenge and did my first one flawless

silverado13

Reaction score
i used brake cleaner to clean out the case before i put everything together, then all the hard parts get assembly lube, and all the clutches bet soaked in tranny fluid

BigGraySophieTheSierra

Reaction score
Very nice, I'll get around to rebuilding mine one of these days. Unless I can yank the drivetrain out of one of the retired company vans we've got at work to rebuild. 6.0, 4L80E in each of em with 200,000 miles