1999 GMC Sierra Z71 DD

MYT HI

Reaction score
That sucks to hear. Mine is acting stange and I want to do a filter and fluid change but was told it's a pain to get around the y-pipe.

How much was the mag-hytec pan? I was going to get a rear end one but it was 250ish I think.

3linkedchevy

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was like $300. I had the dealer install it when I had them do a flush a couple of years ago.

They might sound expensive, but you get what you pay for. You don't have to deal with cheap paper gaskets or messy RTV. The trans pan drain plug is a magnet, its deeper and comes with the longer filter (not an adapter) and finned. The diff cover is larger than stock, drain plug is a magnet, the fill plug has a built in dip stick which is also a magnet, they come with all new stainless steel hardware.I worked at an offroad shop for awhile when I was younger and installed a few different types of diff covers and helped with a couple trans pans. Mag-Hytech stuff is by the far best and easiest replacements I had to deal with while I worked there.

MYT HI

Reaction score
Wow seems pretty nice. Too much for a high schooler though haha.

What are your front fender measurements? I'm wanting mine to sit at 39" all the way around

Kkirwan71

Reaction score
Well trans crapped out on me yesterday on the way home from work. Should drop it off first part of next week. Ordered a new o-ring and filter from Mag-Hytec and a corvette servo. So once those get here I can drop it off...

....sitting and waiting for the tow truck on the side of I20
Similar thing happened to me. Lost overdrive going 65... talk about fun haha. Limped it to work. Got off 230 the next morning and had a friend tow it home

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3linkedchevy

Reaction score
Wow seems pretty nice. Too much for a high schooler though haha.

What are your front fender measurements? I'm wanting mine to sit at 39" all the way around

Oh, didn't realize you were that young lol.... don't worry, I remember those days as well! lol

Where are you measuring to? Center of wheel well?

MYT HI

Reaction score
Oh, didn't realize you were that young lol.... don't worry, I remember those days as well! lol

Where are you measuring to? Center of wheel well?
Yep center of wheel well. Is it wrong to say I really like how it looks on the side of the highway haha

3linkedchevy

Reaction score
Similar thing happened to me. Lost overdrive going 65... talk about fun haha. Limped it to work. Got off 230 the next morning and had a friend tow it home

It was weird, for about a week or so before, with the cruise set at about 70mph, the RPMs would randomly jump like 200 or so and stay like that for a minute or two and drop back down. Would do it like twice on the trips to and from work (about 30 minutes both ways). So I knew something was going on.

Fast forward to Tuesday after work, was doing the same thing, came up on an accident, so for about a mile we were creeping at like 10mph, went to get over a lane, barely tapped the gas and it grenaded. Parked it, and waited for almost 2 hours for the tow truck.

Kkirwan71

Reaction score
It was weird, for about a week or so before, with the cruise set at about 70mph, the RPMs would randomly jump like 200 or so and stay like that for a minute or two and drop back down. Would do it like twice on the trips to and from work (about 30 minutes both ways). So I knew something was going on.

Fast forward to Tuesday after work, was doing the same thing, came up on an accident, so for about a mile we were creeping at like 10mph, went to get over a lane, barely tapped the gas and it grenaded. Parked it, and waited for almost 2 hours for the tow truck.
Yours is the 60e right? Are you going to upgrade anything while you rebuild?

3linkedchevy

Reaction score
My fronts are at 39", the driver side is a hair lower because of that gas tank lean. Not sure on rear, I put those shackles on and it lowered it.

To add insult to injury, I ordered new clear corners over the weekend so I could start getting ready to do some color matching and miscellaneous stuff. Well the corners showed up today...

MYT HI

Reaction score
My fronts are at 39", the driver side is a hair lower because of that gas tank lean. Not sure on rear, I put those shackles on and it lowered it.

To add insult to injury, I ordered new clear corners over the weekend so I could start getting ready to do some color matching and miscellaneous stuff. Well the corners showed up today...

Thanks! Those are on stock keys too? How harsh is the ride?

3linkedchevy

Reaction score
Yours is the 60e right? Are you going to upgrade anything while you rebuild?

Yeah, the 60E. I ordered a Corvette servo, already had the truck tuned where they upped the line pressure. I have a CBR oil/trans cooler I want to put on. My buddy has a 2800 stall CircleD converter he doesn't need. Don't think I will do the converter though, I would like to go to an 80E if I do some work to the 5.3 or just man up and go 6.0 at some point.

Kkirwan71

Reaction score
Yeah, the 60E. I ordered a Corvette servo, already had the truck tuned where they upped the line pressure. I have a CBR oil/trans cooler I want to put on. My buddy has a 2800 stall CircleD converter he doesn't need. Don't think I will do the converter though, I would like to go to an 80E if I do some work to the 5.3 or just man up and go 6.0 at some point.
I'd definitely consider an 80e swap. How much work is it to do an 80e swap?

MYT HI

Reaction score
Yeah, stock keys. It rode kind of bad when I first did it because it had the stock shocks on it. I went to the longer Bilsteins and it rides great... probably better than stock.
1 more question before I leave you alone haha. Are those blisten 5100s or 4600s

3linkedchevy

Reaction score
I'd definitely consider an 80e swap. How much work is it to do an 80e swap?

My buddy just did one on his 4wd, the mount needs to be moved back about 2", new front and rear drive shafts, and he said he had to modify the transfer case input gear, then get it retuned for the 80E. If you plan on putting a good amount of power over stock, it might be something you want to look into. But bolt ons on the stock motor the 60E should be good with a quality build.

I also want to go 80E on this truck, because not sure what route I go suspension wise yet, but I want to be able to go prerun the Mexico races, and 4wd can be clutch to have sometimes.

Kkirwan71

Reaction score
My buddy just did one on his 4wd, the mount needs to be moved back about 2", new front and rear drive shafts, and he said he had to modify the transfer case input gear, then get it retuned for the 80E. If you plan on putting a good amount of power over stock, it might be something you want to look into. But bolt ons on the stock motor the 60E should be good with a quality build.

I also want to go 80E on this truck, because not sure what route I go suspension wise yet, but I want to be able to go prerun the Mexico races, and 4wd can be clutch to have sometimes.
Would almost be worth it imo. I want to have my 60e built like my old 700r4 was

Kkirwan71

Reaction score
You can build it into a 65E or even a 70E.... not sure what all the difference is though.
Looks like I'll be doing some research. I could have it tuned so it shifts firmer but I like the sound of it being actually built better.

Members online

No members online now.